Street Photos Phot.net promotion Releases?

frankb

Photo.net in its Terms and Conditions of Use reserves the right to use photos submitted to

this site for the purpose of distributing and promoting the site. As I understand it if you

take a street shot of people in a public place you do not normally need their consent (if it

does not invade their privacy or hold them up to ridicule, etc.) to display the picture.

However, if the picture is used commercially then you need releases. Does the fact that

Photo.net can use your photo to promote this site mean you need consent forms from all

the people in your pictures? Does it make a difference if the subject of the picture are the

people?

No and no.

You don't need a release. If photo.net wished to use one of those images in a purely commercial context (e.g. an ad in Time magazine)it would be up to photo.net to make sure it had the legal right to do so and a release might well be required. For general display on the site in an editorial context - which is like publishing an article in a newspaper or photo magazine - releases are not required.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for photo.net and I'm not a lawyer.