Which Markins Ballhead

kenghor

There are several models and all have almost the same specification.

I've try emailing to Markins asking them for the difference but

their replies do not answer my questions at all.

I've looking for an alternative the heavy B1 ballhead. M10 is the

latest model but its weight is a little heavier than the rest.So

which model should I go for?

I would not buy a Markins head. They will not supply any for tests and only copy the

outer looks of the Arca-Swiss B1 Monball-- sot of like buying a Porsce 911 d finding

a Yugo or a Trabant under the skin.

If the B1 Monoball is too heavy for you, let me suggest either the Acratech Ultimate

Ballhead. It does not have nearr the strength & other qualities of the Arca-Swiss B1

Monoball but is lighter.

I have a Markin head (Q1 I think) and have absolutely LOVED the ballhead. I use the head for my Pentax 67 work and even my 500mm f4.5 Pentax 35 mm lens with pin sharp results. The ball head is very light (much lighter than Arca Swiss) I have none of the freeze problems noted frequently in Arca Swiss and it was a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

There are a couple of down sides though too.

1)Verticals with the head initially proved to be a problem because the camera (67) would strike the legs and I therefore had to do some stragle leg movements to get the camera vertical. I got the Kirk L bracket which took care of that problem.

2) The way they sold me this head was strage to say the least. I had to buy it out of a shop in California (sorry, I can't recall where). They would not take credit cards, only money orders or checks. I sent a check and it showed up, no problem, but it did seem pretty odd to me.

Other than those two points I would say I have been VERY pleased with the purchase.

I agree with Ellis regarding what the Markins is. I had a Linhof Profi II and it was a nicely made head and very compact and fairly light but it didn't have the motion arm capability of a head like the new Arca B1 which I have now. It is a fabulous head and deserves every bit of the praise it gets and then some. I have the latest "PMF" version which has the "progressive motion - related friction - control" according to Arca Swiss. Don't ask me what that means technically speaking with the heads construction. All I can tell you is save your $$ and buy a brand new one and I don't think you will ever regret it. Forget buying used ones, they fetch almost as much as a new one and they have no 3 year warranty and they are not the current version with the newer "PMF" changes. This thing supports my Hasselblad 553ELX with a 500mm and a couple extension tubes in rock solid fashion and it can be moved about in silky fashion. The best head, no question about it. Forget the Markins. I don't see how you think the B1 is heavy, I think it is light. By the way I use it on a Benbo and I don't consider the setup heavy at all.