film techniques. One cinematographer showed a lens he used to film

the movie Barry Lyndon, shot completely with candle and natural

(window) light, to recreate the light in the 18th century, no

reflectors or other lights.

It was a Zeiss lens originally developed for NASA, but modified for a

film camera. It was a f0.7 lens which looked like it had about 4" or

100mm diamater. Does anyone know anything about this lens? The film

was shot entirely wide-open (aperture) and produced some visually

interesting indoor scenes, very soft and subdued, and very realistic.

Wow, thanks for the information and links. The movie scenes shot with this lens in available light are quite stunning for the softness (partly due to the lack of DOF) and visual realness, but it's also probably sad the lens wasn't useable in other ways after that, not without a lot of work.

• 2 years later...
Kubrick did indeed use a Zeiss lens that NASA had commissioned. Nasa needed a very fast lens. Short depth of field was not a problem for NASA, since they were using it from space at infinity focus. There have been a very few film camera lenses that were f1.0. I once had a Minolta lens that was an f1.2. It was incredibly fast, allowing flashless shots in a livingroom with ambient light only. The Nasa lens was modified to fit a Mitchell BCN movie camera. The internal shutter had to be removed in order to fit the lens into the Mitchell. That didn't matter to Kubrick, since he would be using it wide open anyway for the shots that were lit by candlelight only. There was no other lighting used in these beautiful scenes from "Barry Lyndon". For general info, the "f" number relates to the maximum lens opening as it relates to the focal length of the lens. Example: if a 50mm lens has a maximum aperture of 50mm, then it is an f1.0. That is, a 1:1 ratio of focal length to aperture. A 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of 25mm (half of the focal length of the lens and a smaller opening) is an f2.0 or a ratio of 1:2. A lens that is f.07 has a maximum aperture that is greater than the focal length of the lens, hence, it lets in a *lot* of light at the expense of an incredibly shallow depth of field (of a foot or less) Our eyes do the same thing in a darkened room, ie pupils wide open, or in a bright room pupils small. This is the only lens that I have ever heard of that was faster than f1.0 One would only have to see "Barry Lyndon" to appreciate the the lucious coloration of the scenes that were shot with this lens. Kubrick compared the effect that he was going for to the subtle coloration of a Vermeer or Rembrandt painting. He certainly achieved his goal.

• 3 years later...

<p>Thanks Gary. I'm all fired up to watch Barry Lydon now... Here's a clip of a scene shot in candle light, presumably with the F0.7...<br>

<a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1240799/barry_lyndon_seducing_without_words/">http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1240799/barry_lyndon_seducing_without_words/</a><br>

The DOF seems deeper than I would have expected, it certainly has a very painterly palette to it. I wonder what a 0.7 lens does theoretically in terms of contrast, color temp and image quality.<br>

Thanks for the f stop explanation, it's making more sense.</p>

• 2 years later...