Should I Haul a Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens to Maui?

beauh44

Hello All, I could do with some advice please. It looks like I'll be

heading to Maui in September and I'm struggling with whether it would

be a good idea to schlep along my Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens. As many

of you know, that lens is a hawg. (I love it though) I'm quite sure

there are lovely photo opportunities to be had, (birds? whales?) and

if the lens was 8 inches shorter and 5 pounds lighter, (and I had my

own Lear Jet!) it'd be a no-brainer. I'd envisioned shooting lots of

sunsets/sunrises (depending on which side of the island I'm on)

waterfalls, flowers, etc. and do have a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens and a

1.4X TC, so it's not as though I'd be zoomless. On my 10D with "crop

factor", that works out to around 450mm and *much* lighter and more

compact. I also plan on bringing my 1VHS to get some chromes and I'm

even considering my 4X5 Tachihara. Would leaving "the beast" at home

be a mistake? Additional lenses will be 17-40mm f4/L and 50mm 2.5 CM.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have that lens and it is, indeed, a whale (although petite compared to a 600). My advice:

unless you are truely a bird addict and really, REALLY want to photograph some of the

many interesting Hawaiian bird species, leave the 500 at home. I kind of doubt the utility

of the 500 for whales, except in unusual circumstances.

I have a 400mm f/6.3 and it can be a burdon to carry around (I do lots of hiking in the mountains) I don't use it that often, and many times carry it just to find at the end of the day I didn't need it. Of course, the one time I left it behind I found a wonderful photo op that needed a tele lens. For your 500mm f/4 I would say no... don't bring it. Have you considered adding a 300mm or 400mm to your collection? It could be your "travel tele". At f/5.6 you only lose 1 stop. Personally I try to avoid using tele-converters (especially with zooms) but on the other hand, it would be nice to use the tc with a 300mm (even better for travel) and the 300mm by itself covers focal length between your zoom and your big tele. I really don't have that much experience with different lenses, so I can't recommend specific models, and I realize you have already invested alot into your lens collection, so just running out an buying another tele might not be an option. Another thought: do you really want to risk bringing the 500mm f/4 and having to worry about it? I don't know if you use auto focus and/or auto exposure, but if you don't mind doing things manual, you can get good bargains on used teles, even screw mount (used with a Canon adapter mount) Many ways to go... but leave that big boy at home.

Based on what you say, I would say bringing the lens will be more trouble than it's worth. As has already been suggested, you might consider a smaller, lighter tele for these kinds of trips. There are 400mm. f5.6 teles (some of them no longer in production, but still available used) that are good and also affordable. And portable.

Haven't been to Maui, but during our trip to Kauai we did a lot of bird 'watching'. There was less to see than I anticipated, mainly intro'd species. The best opportunities for bird photography were on the coast... saw some albatross, etc. These could have been photographed with a 200 to 300mm lens. The tropic birds were neat, but at a high speed and distance.

I'd go with the 200mm + TC. Have a great time!

Of course you should. I did. and Had gread fun. Try shooting whales from land aswell.

Birds are awesome. I would never leave home without the 500 F4 IS ever. This would be of course if you are wanting to make money from your photographs. if you dont want to make money from them leave the lens at home. have fun.

Recently was there - you'll love it. The landscapes, greenery and oceans are beauty... good reasons to bring 4/5. You may get a chance to get pics of breaching whales even from shore, no shit. I missed some chances myself. If you want bird pics ... good ones ... this is a no-brainer (there is a reason you got that lens to begin with!). I had trouble getting decent honeycreeper pics with a 500 +1.4 on film (better 'reach' with my 10d). If it sits in the car, unused, then so be it. You'll be cursing yourelf when you miss a good op. As for the comment about worrying about the welfare of the lens ... insure it properly and then relax. I've had my insured for 5 years, leave it locked in the car, travel with it everywhere including mexico and have had no trouble.

Have fun. Dont forget to go snorkeling and see the fish and turtles!

"Maui in September"

I'm curious about the 'breaching whale' answers. Do whales frequent those waters in September? I would have figured later towards the winter, but just academically wondering if Sept really is a time to commonly see whales.

Haven't searched extensively, but found this on the 2nd hit...

"Available Dec. 1 - May 15 with guaranteed sightings

(Whale Search Cruises are available in late November; please call for details)"

Bringing a big lens anywhere can depend on seasonal behavior patterns of the intended subject.