PMK-Digital

galitsos

I suspect that there is no advantage. I've looked closely at PMK, but never have used it, for this reason - I was going to scan the negatives. I suspect that the stain would not be a big impediment to scanning. It's just the reason to use PMK seems to be for its compensation effects. It seems to induce a shoulder on most films. Any decent scanner should be able to handle the density range of just about any B&W film, and the extra shoulder doesn't help (or hinder).

So if you don't really get much benefit, why would you take the risk of using a pretty toxic developer?

I keep looking at PMK, but I keep developing my 4x5 Tri-X in XTOL 1:3, and scanning with my ColorGetter 3 Pro drum scanner. Excellent results.

I develop using primarily HC110 and PMK. If it weren't for the reduction in film speed, I'd use PMK all the time. I went to it for better sharpness and less grain in 35 and 120. The compensation also does help with roll film. I originally tried it thinking that scanners seem to like dye-cloud based films (c-41 XP2 comes to mind) more than traditional films and the stain would be like a dye cloud. Maybe it is less important with 4x5, but I have noticed a difference in my scanning.<div>007gqe-17032384.jpg.bfc5e09b7f38b24ad80a311a0b18bb51.jpg</div>

If you want extreme highlight compensation use a chromogenic like XP2. PMK and other similiar type developers reduce density range, which is the only tangible difference with classic B/W films and others in the first place.

The majority of images I see taken with film processed in these type developers are just plain *bad* with the photographer grinning away like the proud father of an ugly baby.

An excuse to play with developers I guess.

Scott - always good for a healthy gibe.

Y'know, I've noticed for some time a strong resemblance in the tonality of prints made from XP2 Super and those made from conventional b&w films dipped in a pyro or catechol brew.

What the hell... there are still artists working strictly in the iconic style using egg tempera. Room for everyone and every medium.

Thank you all for your view. However I believe that there is no disadvantage using PMK at least as concerns the image quality and because I'll print some of them on silver paper I think that is not a bad idea developing with PMK.