Hasselblad 203FE - to buy or not to buy

andre_oldani

I don't no why but I love 6x6. Beside my small format Contax gear I

own a Contax 645 which is great but...read the first sentence.

Thinking that over I decided to buy into Hassi's 200 series (203FE,

Planar 2/110 with TC 1.4XE plus Distagon 2.8/50). The feedbacks

covering the 203 FE model are some 3 yrs old so I would like to ask

some of the recent owners for their feedback, pro's and con's of this

model. It's not small money that they request for their cams so your

input is very much appreciated. In addition: the 203 now some 6 or

more years in production. Might they replace it soon (same as 201 to

202)?.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Andre

You might be interested in the fact that Henry Posner of B&H just posted the following message on the Hasselblad list.

"I received an e-mail yesterday from B&H's Hasselblad rep. He advises that the price of the 203FE body will be lowered. MAP, which was 5732.00 will become $3,175.00.

I do not have an effective date, but I expect it to happen within a week or two. I do not yet know what the new "street" price will be."

There is only speculation as to what this means. Hasselblad may be trying to be more competitive, or they may be introducing a new camera. In any case, I would wait a bit and see what happens before buying.

I've got 35mm screwmount Pentax, and I love it. I've got Pentax 6x7cm and I love it, never saw sharper images. I've got a Speed Graphic 4x5" and the tonal quality of this negative size is addictive. But I recently bought a secondhand Rolleiflex TLR with 2,8/80mm Planar (1956!!). It was relatively cheep, because the lightmeter was broken ($250). For me after 25 years of photography it is a totally new experience, to work with this gem of a camera. Looking on the groundglas from the top, even while walking, and seeing the picture develop, the total silence of the shutter, the need to stick to simple standard-lens thinking, I am hooked. Trie it, and save some money in the process.

peter

If you love 6x6cm, consider it an investment! 20 years from now, it will still be a viable tool, object of affection, and a source to rekindle fond memories. Considering the new pricing, it may be an excellent choice. Ditto on the old Rollei TLRs! I have a couple 'Cords in exc. working condition and love to play with them. Are they serious tools? Can I justify the money spent? No longer a pro, my opinion is subject to my own biases. Hasselblads are more than just cameras IF you keep them long periods of time. The new digital backs are going to extend that system's lifetime, too.

Hasselblad's recent shaving of something like $2400 USD really enhances the 203FE bouguet. this is an excellent camera at an excellent price. I have several applications for a 203FE myself, and must make the decision against the Contax 645 with Hasselblad adapter.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to complete the thread. Some weeks ago I got me the 203FE plus the lenses, TC1.4x and the PM45. Taking pictures with it is an event of itself. To me this is a completely different approach. The first results were breathtaking. I had a problem with a roll of 120 Delta 100 that wound not correctly but I think this was a handling problem. Some gear makes a difference. And I am convinced it will make it also after years of usage. The investment into Contax plus Zeiss and now Hasselblad plus Zeiss is worth every cent.

Best regards

André