Digilux2

toke_hage

Well, the price unfortunately is way over the top. The problem is that with digital cameras the "leica" mystique will not work, it's the digital part that counts here.. and the digital part is not very impressive. The tiny sensor is absolutely no match for that price, noise and artifacts are to be expected. Max 400 ISO also is nothing to write home about. The four-thirds olympus prosumer cameras should already blow the digilux out of the water in terms of image quality, not to mention the full frame and almost full frame sensors used in the dslrs these days.

The concept, however, is very good, and so is the design. I bet this camea is a joy to use, unlike all the other digicams. For that price, however, best image quality is a must, and I hope that panasonic has at least a 4/3 sensor on its roadmap. Digilux3 could be a winner.

Oh, I just assume that panasonic is making the camera - so there could be a panasonic version at a more reasonable price?

Michael, your Leica M was outdated at least 30 years ago. IMO, if a camera takes the

pictures you want, what's the difference if they come out with something else? If a

camera doesn't take the pictures you want, then it was a dumb purchase in the first

place.

This one looks interesting for a P&S. 28mm on the wide end is pretty good for these

type cameras which usually don't go that wide. It remains to be seen if it distorts as

badly as the Canon G lens at the wide end. IF Leica actually designed the lens it may

be better corrected.

SD cards are a bit of a pain, but they are considerably smaller than CF cards.

5 meg should be decent enough for vacation snaps and family stuff. Having RAW will

be a big help in post processing IF the software is decent. It'll be interesting to see if

their RAW format can be processed in the new Adobe PhotoShop CF RAW developer. I

doubt it, but you never know. Some of my digital camera RAW formats aren't listed as

being supported by Adobe RAW, yet I can open and process them with it.

I don't know about the electronic finder. For a P&S it may not be that big of a deal

breaker. The camera sure isn't small however. But it looks nice.

Sadly I think Leica does not have the resources to compete head-to-head with the likes of Nikon and Canon for digi-photography supremacy. These companies are able to attract better (high)tech-talent and spend in (high)tech-acquisitions. Leica's other divisions (binoculars, etc) will do well, though...

I can't see how this camera could be particularly interesting - it can't use a photog's

collection of already-owned leica lenses and is behind the curve on technology right

out of the chute.<P>

Not much different than my 2 year old 5 MP sony (who probably manufactures

the "leica" sensor). But some will buy it because it <I>looks</I> like a leica...

www.citysnaps.net

What John Arnold said...

It costs 10s of millions of dollars just to develop the sensors, ADCs, and signal

processing integrated circuits used in digital cameras. Plus all of the systems

engineering necessary for product development and getting to manufacturing.

Canon and Sony manufacture sensors in their own silicon foundries (Kodak makes

their own high-end sensors as well). Canon/Sony/Nikon have the resources to go solo

on development of the electronics and up-front engineering necessary to develop

leading-edge digital cameras. They also have the R&D budgets to stay in front with

the best in digital camera technology. Other manufacturers need to partner (at a price)

and use either off-the-shelf or semi-custom technology to get their product off the

ground timely and at a reasonable cost - which will never employ leading technology.

www.citysnaps.net

"leading technology."

But will it matter? Very soon all sensors will be "good enough" and then we will be back to the things that used to matter - handling, optical qualities etc. etc.

Just because you have to buy in technology does not make it bad or a poor second best. Look at the PC industry - there seem to be no chip manufacturers producing PCs.

Robin Smith

<i> Look at the PC industry - there seem to be no chip manufacturers producing PCs.</i><p>

Not so...IBM produces chips and PCs. Intel has produced motherboards for many companies. I don't know how big the business is for them now, but they used to build all the boards for Gateway. They used to build finished PCs, but they stopped because it hurt their chip sales.<p>

The main reason companies don't do it is that Intel controls the business with an iron fist.<p>

On the Digilux 2 subject...when do the endangered species skin models come out?

This certainly is a step in the right direction � HOWEVER �

every electronic viewfinder I have used has been a major pain in

the butt. Why not go with a fixed lens and rangefinder focusing.

For me, at least, that would have been a better choice, this, of

course, is assuming one cannot design a rangefinder for a

zoom lens or can one? I hope some photojournalists get their

hands on this camera and give us a real review instead of

reviews full of fixed subject pictures.

To me, it looks like a boxy digicam with a Leica-like lens on it and the Leica logo adorning it. They seem to want to make us believe that this is getting closer to the digital M we all want, but since there's no word about the lack of shutter lag (the main problem with digicams), I assume the looks and the lens are really just a marketing ploy used to dress up a Panasonic camera. Correct me if I'm wrong...

D2 looks nice and I guess if I were a collector I might be interested in purchasing one.

But, I'm not a collector, I'm a photographer. When I look at what one gets for 1550

euros vs. a $1000 cost for a Canon Digital Rebel kit, I ask myself what were they

thinking at Solms? Maybe the Leica mystique still works for the M aficionados, but I

think the digital folks are going to want more than just the little red dot on their

cameras before they spend big bucks.