can anyone recommend a negative scanner

I'm fairly new to this, and you'll get a number of different opinions, but I had a Minolta Scan Dual III which served me fine for nearly a year. After hearing such good things about Digital ICE, I recently purchased a Nikon Coolscan V and I couldn't be happier. Digital ICE, if you're scanning color or C-41 Black and White is an absolute godsend. The speed increase is also most welcome. It's also proven more than capable with silver (Tri-X mostly). It sounds silly, but it has made film fun again for me.

Also, nearly everyone will recommend using Vuescan instead of the Nikon Scan software. This may be true for me someday when I improve or become more "fussy" but for now the Nikon Scan 4 software does a commendable job while at the same time reducing the number of "goofs" that were caused by trying to do too much in Vuescans... ah... interesting interface.

I'm using the same Minolta Scan Dual III that Jack alluded to (above) and I like it a lot. Granted, it's not in the class of his new Nikon Coolscan V with ICE, but neither is the price!

Minolta has since superseded the SD III with the SD IV which has even better resolution. In any case, my SD III does a darn good job for my purposes and while dust is a problem that must be addressed(which ICE pretty much solves dynamically), I find that a good anti-static brush and a can of compressed air works well enough. Any residual dust is easily removed through editing.

Simply a matter of how much you want to spend on a scanner... ;)

Charlotte, the Minolta 5400 (full name: Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400) appears to be the best bargain right now, it can be found for around 600 to 700 Euros, new. Try to google for best prices and reviews. Plus, you should absolutely get the Vuescan scanning software which will largely improve handling of any scanner. I'm using it with my Nikon Coolscan IV ED (which I'm very happy with). Cheers.

Yes, it can. Even flatbed scanners. And the database for new models is continually updated. This piece of software is the best $ to be invested into scanning, IMHO. Way better in terms of user interface and stability than Silverfast, for instance. Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...