I need help with development time for HIE infrared.

jwcounts

Hi. I have a 35mm roll of Kodak HIE infrared that needs

developing. My problem is that I don't know how long to develop it

for. I can't just follow the recommended times on the package

because it was shot rated at ASA 200, metered through the lens, a

red 25 filter and a polarizer, and this is not how I was supposed to

rate it. Can anyone recommend a developing time/temp, preferably

using D-76? I would like to salvage these pictures if possible.

Most were outdoors, usually in bright sunlight, if that means

anything. Thanks for any help, -john.

The times usually gien by Kodak for developing this film are excessive. Cut them in half at least. Yor exposures are probably going to be fine. I also use 200 for this film with a red filter over the lens metering through the lens.

If you can, run a test roll first, and as I suggest, cut the times in half. That should give you a good idea of what your 'good' roll will be.

Kodak recommend EV12 (1/60 @ f/8 or equivalent) for a red filter in bright sunlight as a starting point. I've found these figures to be a bit conservative and would recommend one or two stops smaller, EV13 or EV14, though using a polarizer will probably reduce this back to EV12. At these exposures, Kodak's recommended 8.5 minutes at 68F (20C)with agitation every 30sec in stock D76 work for me.

If you've any idea what actual exposures your metering gave you, you should be able to decide how "far out" your exposures were, if at all, and adjust your development to suit. You can always double check what exposure your camera gives simply by refitting the filters, setting the film speed to 200 and taking a couple of meter readings under similar conditions to the original exposures.

John:

I've had a similar situation and, while I second the suggestions made earlier, I solved that problem by treating HIE exactly like T-Max 100 and processing accordingly. In that particular case, it worked, so if you can't find a better solution, you might give that approach some consideration.

Good Luck