w/nw: beautiful animal

I did some developing tonight and wanted to share this shot I took

last weekend at, of all places, a soccer match. The animal pictured

is, according to his owner, 3/4 wolf. The owner is a physician. The

animal was extremely gentle and only ate one child while I was

there. (Okay I'm lying about that part.)

Taken with Leica M6, 50 f2 Summicron lens, on Ilford HP5+.<div>007JhH-16526584.jpg.27425e5912ee6371e6293fd59d4d2964.jpg</div>

I hear you Jim. I used to have an Akita. Until it really did almost eat my neighbor's child, because the child was taking its food.<p>

Even as an adult, Niki (the Akita) thought of herself as a puppy and would always sit on my lap as I tried to watch TV (anyone familiar with this large breed would be aware of how silly of a scene that must have been). What a baby she really was. Wish I had (good) pics of her.

Although you can't tell by the photos the "wolfdog" was enormous. Honestly, he looked about the size of a pony; very tall, with extremely long, spindly legs. I had just come from bringing my little dogs to be groomed that morning and apparently had their scent all over me. I had to stand perfectly still while wolfdog sniffed me up and down. Very disconcerting. But, as I said, he really was quite gentle. He loves children. ...has one for lunch every day...oh, nevermind.

Dennis

Dennis

Nice dog. 3/4 wolf? Dees this mean one parent was a wolf and the other was "half" wolf...hmm how does the owner know? My bet is the dog is a mix between a wolfish breed like a Malamute or a Siberian Husky and some kind of large long limbed hound like an Irish wolfhound. Malamutes are known to be very quiet and gentle, as are most large hounds. People love to think their dog is a wolf - it gives them a thrill.

Robin Smith

Robin:

According to the owner one parent, I believe it was the father, of the wolfdog was a wolf, and the other parent was one-half wolf. Apparently there are breeders of such animals who sell them for a lot of money.

The owner's daughter plays soccer with my daughter and although I have know the girl's mother quite well for several years from soccer I had never met the woman's husband, who is a very successful surgeon of some sort. They own a large farm in the country outside of New Orleans where they keep horses and other animals. The animal's lineage was confirmed by the wife, so I tend to believe what the man told me about the animal.

Further, this animal was huge. I mean huge! You don't get any scale or proportion from the photos. He was very, very tall, much like a Great Dane or taller. He just looked very different from a normal dog, particularly with the long skinny legs.

I know what you're saying, though, about people... I think some people might even be inclined to say their dog is part dinosaur if it would impress their friends. ;>)

Regards,

Dennis