Buying the R9 - what is the dream lens to start with?

I have decided to buy a R9.

Now, what is the dream lens for this camera? Which is THE lens to

start with - not taking the price into account?

My motives: My 2 months old daughter and my wife, her mother. Our

house. Our surroundings. Landscapes and travel pics also.

Would that be: the 35/1.4 - the 50/1.4 - the 80/1.4 - the 19/2.8 -the

60/2.8 - the 90/2.0 AA - or something quite different?

I do have a number of different older R-lenses (21-90 mm) - and a

number of M cameras and lenses - but I would like to know what is

really THE best single combination of R9 and a lens.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Depends on what you like and want Michael. I have the 100/2.8 APO, 50/2, 35/2, and 24/2.8, and used to own the 80/1.4. I also "tested" two new 50/1.4s (I say "tested" because my tests aren't particularly sophisticated, though I do compare lenses at all wide to mid-apertures) and ended up preferring the 50/2 due to its lower price and very high center resolution at wide apertures.

The 100/2.8 is incredibly sharp, but relatively large and not particularly fast. The 80/1.4 was not especially sharp at wide apertures, but had great tonal gradation and out-of-focus smoothness (I also prefer the 80 focal length to 100). The 50/2 is a steal, great lens, as is the 35/2, which also has smooth out-of-focus areas. The 24/2.8 is a bit maligned, but has served me very well.

I don't quite understand this question, especially coming from someone who claims to own "a number of different older R-lenses (21-90 mm) - and a number of M cameras and lenses." What is so unique about the R9 that you need to hold a conference to figure out which lens best goes with it?

<p>Unless I'm missing something here (and I must be, or maybe you're a troll), why not use what you normally use with the subjects you mentioned?

I find it odd that you can recommend lenses so fluently in <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006fPa" target="_blank">another thread</a>, yet you seem so lost when it comes to yourself. Take your own advice:

<p><i>"Forget about the MTF-curves and try them in practice. I really recommend the 50/1.4 as a perfect all-rounder. The 35/2 ASPH is excellent, and so is also the 35/1.4 ASPH, but the pre-asph versions are also loved by many. Why not take the 21/2.8 Asph instead of the 24/2.8 ASPH? Whether you prefer 90/2.0 AA or the 75/1.4 for portraits is a matter of taste - try them both before making up your mind. All in all my experience is that you should get lenses with an extra f-stop if you can afford them, but that you can also live with slower lenses which are also excellent if they carry the Leica brand." -Michael B. Elmer</i>

<p>And substitute the appropriate R lenses, and voila.

To me the best lenses are: the 28mm Elmarit present version, 35mm Summicron, 50mm Summicron, 50mm Summilux last version E60 size filter, 90mm Elmarit last version, 90mm APO-Summicron-ASPH, 100mm APO-Macro-Elmarit, 180mm Elmart (for travel,compact last version), 180mm APO-Telyt (no to big), 180 APO-Elmarit, 180mm APO-Summicron.- the others same body else can speak.-

I'm not so sure that talking him out of it is a good idea. Leica will have their 10mp digital back out in a few months, and at the stated price of 'around' £3000 it would make an R9 something of a bargain high end DSLR, especially as you also get a film camera in the deal, so to speak. Check the R9 plus digi back price against a Canon 1ds and the Leica looks cheap!

If you get the wonderfully versatile 60/2.8, you're going to want a

28 as well. If you go for the 35, it will be deja-vu a la M-series

with 35. If you compliment your existing lineup with a longer tele,

well, then that's more than one lens.

The 35-70 is a great lens, but maybe you should think of

something completely new, like the 28-90 2.8-4.5 Leica zoom.

Click the link on the Puts review of this lens on an earlier post -

sounds pretty impressive. Good luck!

SLR's come into their own with long lenses and with closeup work. My most used lens on my M6 is a 35mm. On my R6, that's my least used lens. The 90mm Summicron sees a lot of use on the R6. But a lens as extreme as my 180 APO-Telyt sees less use.

SO I suggest you think in terms of a 90mm, or 100mm macro, or 60mm macro. These are lenses that take full advantage of the reflex viewing system. Of course, the 50mm Summicron-R is an outstanding lens, if the normal focal length wouldn't bore you.

• 8 months later...

prime lens:

35: 35/2.8 elmarit, R's equivalent to Summaron on M, sharp and top close distance

performance. Has a old world Leica feel to it, the picture is transparent, not just being

sharp.

50: 50/1.4 summilux, the latest version of 1998, its performance should be on par with

the M version just released this year, bring a bright viewfiner to your R too.

90: 90/2 summicron, apo version, super sharp.

100: 100/2.8 apo elmarit, another super sharp lens.

zoom: 35-70/4, the R's version of tri-elmar on M, with macro built in too, best value, the

same weight as 50/1.4 summilux.

Body: R8/R9, the latter the serial numbers the better, I wish you luck here, Leica is never

very good in producing their SLR. They got it right in 1954 with M and live on that design

up to now, without any significant addidtion to speak of.