DD-X = XTOL?

feli

I have just started to use DDX after using XTOL for several years. In general I prefer the results I get with XTOL when using 35mm Delta 400 & 4X5 FP4 over the results I have gotten with DDX and these films/formats. After I finish the present bottle of DDX, I am going back to XTOL. This is purely subjective. You need to do your own tests.

For an Ilford developer with a Vitamin C derivative developing agent, try Ilfosol S. Patterson FX-50 is a liquid form of XTOL, but I found it to have too short a shelf life after opening.

I fell for Covington's statement that folks were going to DD-X after bad experiences with XTOL. Well, I'm back to XTOL and maybe for good. Why use a 1926 era developer (D-76) when there have been so many advances made . . .

• 3 weeks later...
Probably similar in results if not in chemistry. I've A & B 'd rolls of Delta 3200 in both developers from the same event, and can't really point to a difference. I have had Xtol "failure," (very very thin negatives) after losing track of the shelf life of working solution. (It takes a long time to work through a five liter packet, especially if you favor 1:2 dilutions.) So for the amount I process, the ease of DD-X is worth the small expense.