ACUTOL - gives a speed increase of F-stop??

nina_sagan

I have bought Acutol and basically I use it according to the data

sheet comes with it or 'massive development chart' online.

Recently I searched Photo.Net and found some comments mentioning the

chemical "increases speed of film", about 1/2 to 1 F-stop or EV".

What does this exactly mean? E.g. if I have Ilford Delta 100 or

Fuji Acros 100,

- Rate/expose as 200 and develop as 100?

- Rate/expose as 50 and develop as 100?

- Rate/expose as 200 and develop as 200?

I am a little confused, and any comments much appreciated.

Acutol provides a slight speed increase compared to D76 on conventional slow and medium speed films. I ignore it, and I suggest you do so as well, simply because I like a bit more shadow detail.

What matters more is the kind of enlarger you use. Could you decsribe your equipment in detail?

HB

Thanks for your reply, Hans.

Last time when I developed Acros (exposed as 100) with Acutol (1:9), according to the data sheet i.e. 6min @ 20C, the negative seemed a bit pale/flat (underdeveloped?). I have another exposed Acros (over exposed throughly +2/3 stop ie same as rated as 70?) here with me and not yet decided how I'm going to develop it...

Well, to answer your question, I am using enlargers in a dark room provided by a photographic society, and they are mainly colour enlargers (ie not condenser but diffusion). There is one b/w enlarger by LPL but this one has no timer, so I merely use it. This perhaps means I need rather contrasty negatives, or try on the condenser enlarger.

I also have TMAX 400 rated as 1600, and will develop this with TMAX (1:4). And there are two Ilford Delta 400 rated as 400, and I am not sure if its better to develop these with TMAX or ACUTOL...