is it safe to go non smc

matt_savidge

Matt,

SMC is MUCH better, but that is not to say non-SMCs are poor lenses. If you pickup two lenses, one SMC the other non SMC look at them from the front outside. What will likely happen is that you will get a lot of bright reflections from the non-SMC lens and hardly any from the SMC one. This gives you an idea of what is happening when light isn't transmitted through the lens.

That said I personally currently own two lenses that are uncoated. One is a piece of junk 35mm so it is hard to gage quality with that lens, and the other is a 500mm f4.5 Takumar (pre-SMC). I get lovely photos with this lens using good technique. Further, I wasn't displeased with my results with my old Praticka screw mount lenses; it's just hard to compare because film quailty has improved so much (when I used those lenses).

The non-SMC lenses are single coated. There haven�t been uncoated lenses made since roughly WWII.

I have both SMC and non-SMC Takumars (screw mount). Looking at a print, it�s hard to say which lens made which picture. The only time you�re likely to notice is under extreme conditions, such as strong backlighting or when light sources are in the picture (night photography).

One of the best made 28mm lens is the Kiron 28mm f/2.0 (also sold as Vivitar Series-1), you get on eBay arround 40-60$.

SMC (or Super Multi Coating) on Pentax lenses means higher contrast, but you might get better resolution from older single and double coated lenses (single/double coating refers to the number of coating layers, not to the glasses sides). Of course, SMC lenses behave much better in backlight, landscape, etc..., but non SMC lenses might be better in portraits and indoors (with/without flash).