Downrate (pull) Kodak 400CN or use redfilter?

You can underexpose 400CN at EI 100 with normal development with no major problems although this film performs at its optimum between EI200 and 320. If you use a filter to cut the light use a gray neutral-density or even a polarizer in a pinch, not a red filter.

My wife used one of my Fuji NPZ (800) rolls and didn't reset the ASA from 400. Normally overexposure isn't too bad for color negative, as I remember. So, should I have the lab pull the developing one stop or let it go through, as is?

Patrik, this film sings when zone 5 is placed at 250asa and dev N. I don't see a point to shooting any more of an overexposure, with a pull in development or not. this is a color film, and a red filter will not provide the same contrast increasing results a true B&W film. as Jay said, a neutral density filter at most should be used.

Tom, you will probably find the 400asa setting more pleasing than 800asa, unless it was shot at high noon on a sunny day. I shoot it at 500 all the time and print down. This film is truly amazing, even when pushed to 1600.