Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro or Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX macro

nigel_farmer

I am fairly new to (non point and shoot ) photography.

I have a Nikon F75 and I would like to get started in Macro

photography. I am considering the Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105 mm macro

lenses (as just starting budget is important).

These two lenses are comparible in price and I have seen very good

reviews of both. I had pretty much decided on the Sigma but after

having a look at both, am now undecided, and would like to see some

opinions of other people. Searching on photo.net I have seen a lot of

comparision of one or the other of these against Nikon, Canon etc but

not against each other.

Since I can obtain both at the same price, this is not a contributing

factor. I would also plan to use whichever one I purchase for

portraits -so would the Sigma be better given its focal lenght?

I am also considering purchasing a Kenko MC7 2* teleconverter.

The main reason for purchasing a teleconverter is not for macro work,

but I have read somewhere that this could be used to double the

reproduction ratio. Is this correct? Is it also fair to assume that a

telconverter could be used in conjuction with a macro lense to work

at longer distances with the same reprodcution ratio.

The main reason I am thinking of purchasing a teleconverter (and here

I am digressing from the subject title)is to enable me to use my 70-

300 Nikon AF G f4.5-5.6 lense up to 600mm. However I have read that

you need a lense faster than F4. Does this mean that I cannot use

this teleconverter with this lense or do I just lose AF with this

lense. Would I have to manually take into affect the loss of 2 stops

and is there any other factors I need to consider.

(I also have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 and 28-100 AF G)

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the multiple questions

I have no first-hand experience with the Sigma though "I've played with it once" (a-la Ken Rockwell), two areas it definitely beats the Tamron are in build quality and slightly longer FL.

<P>

But I myself much prefer the Tamron over the other similar macro lenses, including the 105/2.8 AF Micro Nikkor that I owned for quite some time. As you can see from <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007JLk">my impressions on this lens</a>, this lens is a gem.

<P>

Do you mean to attach a 2x teleconverter to a 70-300 variable aperture zoom? My advice would be -- don't. You will probably not like the results. If I were you, I'd rather get a Tamron SP AF 1.4x teleconverter for the Tamron macro, but still leave the zoom alone.

I have heard good things about the Sigma (good review in Practical Photography a few issues back) but the Tamron is one of the classic macro lens designs. I would have no reservations about recommending it highly. It is certainly comparable in optical quality to the 105 Nikkor, at a much better price.

I can't comment directly on the Sigma, but may have something to add about the Tamron. Arnab is a "Macro Master" (and his photos prove it!) but for a beginner at macro like me it is STILL possible to get pleasing results quite easily with the Tamron, even if the working distance at 1:1 is rather close for, say, most insects.

Perhaps more importantly (for you and certainly for me) this lens is an EXCELLENT portrait/general performer. The focal length is ideal for most subjects and the results are outstanding in all respects, even wide open. It is easily my favourite optic and has never failed me (although vice-versa may yet apply).

I have to agree with my friend above about the Kiron 105mm being the best, ever. But for AF-D use on the N-80 my Sigma is still quite good. I've seen some fantastic shots with the Tamron 90mm also, so it's hard to go wrong with either choice.

<p>I think the general consensus is that they are both excellent lense, and that you really can't go wrong with either. For me, therefore, it came down to other characteristics, and that meant build quality. I couldn't get over what felt like really poor quality on the Tamron, even though I _knew_ that the actual optical quality was fantastic (I might say it's a tiny little bit better than the Sigma, but I haven't directly compared the 2 on identical images). The Sigma feels very solid.

<p>I've used it for some (casual, not professional) wedding photography, as well as some landscape stuff and of course some macro shots. I'm still trying to master the macro stuff (need to get out there with the new rail I got).

<p>some links:

<p><a href="http://www.pbase.com/romosoho/jess_and_andy_10182003">wedding shots</a> (the first 6 images) <br>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/image/24487536">Coit Tower</a><br>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/image/25595048">Along the Embarcadero</a><br>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/romosoho/macro_stuff">Macro images</a>

If cost is a factor, the newer (Cosina made) Vivitar 100 3.5 macro delivers very good results. As with most Cosina built lenses, the build quality is nebulous at best, but this lens get's very high reviews by many knowledgable user's of it. Also, the Vivitar macro-focusing converter (made by Kiron), and the Kiron 7 element 2x converter are extremely good. And can be had quite cheaply on the used market.

QLP

Peter, thankyou for the incredibly honoring statement but I'm yet to master macro photography, for now I'm satisfied calling myself a "closup freak" ;-)

<P>

Guys, take a look at <a href="http://orchideen-kartierung.de/Macro100E.html">this link</a>. Though it is just one of many opinions floating around on the net, it looks interesting, thoroughly done and quite convincing!

<P>

BTW, all modern macro lenses are excellent.

I'm with Russ on the Vivitar macro. I wouldn't complain about the build, since that's what you get at this price -- but they have not compromised on the optics even a little bit. I believe it only goes up to 1:2, going 1:1 with a supplied diopter -- but not sure if that diopter is a 2-element achromat.

The Vivitar 2x macro focussing teleconverter is a legend. Grab one if you can! But it won't meter with low/mid range Nikon AF bodies.

I keep hearing great things about this Kiron macro. I recall several months ago Russ Butner emailed me a tack sharp and highly detailed macro photo of a electronic circuit board, presumably taken with the Kiron macro. If that kind of results is possible with that lens, I'd very highly recommend that one too.

Just remember, that while the venerable Kiron 105mm may be the best macro lens ever, it is manual only (non-cpu lens). It will not meter on the F75 and other new AF cameras, I use it exclusively on my F3/T.

My recommendation for the F75 would probably lean toward the Tamron 90mm, unless you're very rough on your lenses, then the Sigma is a more "robust" choice.

"I keep hearing great things about this Kiron macro. I recall several months ago Russ Butner emailed me a tack sharp and highly detailed macro photo of a electronic circuit board, presumably taken with the Kiron macro. If that kind of results is possible with that lens, I'd very highly recommend that one too."

Yes, that photo of the circuit board was the first test shot I made with my Kiron 105 macro-wonderlens. 1:1 life size without any adaptors, extender's, etc. Vivitar 285 popper for lighting.