Hello,

After following this forum quietly and persistently for a while I'm

considering purchasing a Leica. Does anyone know whether Leica

equipment is available easily in Bangkok (say, M6) and whether the

prices are reasonable?

Cheers

Tim Bolotnikoff

Tim,

The only comment I can make is that a little while back (a couple of years ago) there was an article in a HK paper commenting on where the cheapest new Leica could be bought in Asia and the winning by quite a bit was Bangkok.

http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/v20/msg15265.html

Ping *Kamol* on the Leica forum here, hes a local Thai, and ask if he knows where.

regards

Craig / Beijing

For used cameras: Camera Collection in the basement Galleria Bldg at the end of Silom (a

couple of blocks from Charoen Krung).

For new cameras: AV Camera on Charoen Krung around not far from Silom intersection.

Used prices are pretty much at int'l levels. New prices depend on the state of exchange

rates -- when the camera was imported. At couple of years ago I bought a new Noctilux in

Paris for about $300 less than the US graymarket prices, and found that I could have got it

at AV Camera for another $200 less. The situation may be different now.

--Mitch/Bangkok

I was in Bangkok in September and looked around the recommended stores - the prices for camera equipment didn't seem better than I could find in the US with patient web surfing. The prices may have been better when the Thai currency crashed (along with their economy) a few years ago.

Another place that you should check out is Camera & Lenses. I think it's on the 3rd floor of Central Rama III. They usually have a few used ones on their shelf. I think recently Leica changed their local distributor, and price seems to have risen considerably after the change (in isolation of FX rates).

Cheers,

Yuth