Heavy lenses

raj_gj

No, not really. Is there a warning about using such a lens in your N65 manual? So ...

In reality, and since you do not have the lens - you should be aware that you would probably carry this camera-lens combo on your left palm under the lens barrel anyway, so the torque downwards on the camera mount would be rather small. Holding just the body+heavy lens with two hands would become very quickly exhausting, except for trained arm-wrestlers ...

So there is a very natural remedy for your fear .. Get the lens and you shall see.

You know, I just had a nightmare about this last night...weird. Except after the mount cracked, some yellow goo spewed out, kinda like spray-on foam when exposed to air.

If the lens is heavy enough, you'd (I'd) carry it by the lens anyway, as already mentioned, and if the camera mount can't even support the camera itself...

I was finishing off a roll in the house tonight with the N65 and the 75-300mm. I had an SB-22 off-camera, so I was holding it out with one hand and holding the N65 by the grip. The zoom was all the way out at 300mm and the focus was close, so the lens was putting the maximum force on the mount and it wasn't easy to hold level. Those metal mounts ane dang strong, even on the cheap N65.

My 17-35mm is surprisingly comfortable on my F80 and there is certainly no problems with weight on the mount. I can even quite happily mount the pair on a tripod using the tripod screw on the F80 base without anything to concern me in the slightest.

The 80-200 f2.8D AF 2-touch is also fine to use, although when using the lens in portrait it is possible to feel a little bit of flexing of the F80 handgrip (due to the weakness around the battery compartment). This is only an issue if you aren't supporting the lens at the time for example when lifting the camera up to your eye from hanging on a strap.

I once saw an 80-200 f2.8 without the tripod mount on an F80 and although you could mount it on a tripod the flexing and general unsteadyness was not very reassuring and was certainly close to the safe limit for this body.