How long before Leica M type photography banned?

bruno_menilli

What Mike Dixon said - it's only an issue on photonet forums - and usually put

forward with a connection to post 9/11, Ashcroft, Bush, etc., and, that we are losing

treasured essential liberties in the process. The sky is falling, the sky is falling...

www.citysnaps.net

Peter A

I think you've hit the point exactly, the Leica M style of photography could be described as covert,grabbed,snatched or whatever epithet you choose to use, and that makes it different ,from the very overt type that you say people largely ignore, and which you are now finding quite liberating.

That is what I am also finding, because taking grab shots, so that the subject(s) are unaware of them being taken, sometimes makes me feel that I am stealing something, which reminds me of the stories of,so-called, ancient and primative societies who hated being photographed because they thought you were stealing their souls.

Regards

Bruno

Peter is on the right path,

<P>

I learned long ago that what separates guys like William Allard, Sam Abell and Steve McCurrey from the rest of us isn't so much technical knowledge or even good composition (though they surely have that as well). It's the fact that they have the ability to make their subjects feel comfortable while they are shooting photos. They are able to somehow let their subjects know that they have no "evil" motives. And even more than that, show that they actually care about and value the people that they are photographing.

<P>

Allard touches on this in these quotes from "William Albert Allard: The Photographic Essay" (1989, Little Brown, Co)

<p><I>"There's all kinds of communication you can have with your subject, whether you speak the language or not. It's one thing to expect your subject to be receptive, but <b>you</b> have to be receptive to <b>them</b>. If you sense something negative, then you back off."</i><P>

and<P>

<i>"And if they feel that you don't care about them, it's going to show in your pictures. A press credential doesn't mean a thing- it comes down to the way they perceive you. You can't just swoop in, make your hit, and leave. But you can't be spooked off either, you have to project a feeling of innocence: 'I don't mean you any harm' "</i>

<P>

Our inability to make that connection is what leads to <b>SO</b> many boring photos being posted here of people's butts and the backs of their heads. Heck, I just posted one today in the "Summilux photos" thread. I think it's a decent picture in many ways. But it could have been 100% better if I had been able to capture the same elements, but been able to show the child�s face and his expression of wonder.

<P>

This gets off topic from the original post, and it's an interesting enough discussion that it might be worthy of it's own thread.

With deference to the most honorable Mike and Brad, I tend to at least partially disagree.

I HAVE been asked not to photograph in public. Fishing from the Sunshine causway in Tampa/St. Pete. Tide was raging... fishing terrible, so I decided to walk around taking pics. Its a no-no. I was told by Florida State Police (Trooper) that photography is forbidden. Yes, I knew the bridge once fell. Yes, I know security is tight. All the BS you'd expect from a police officer who is just following orders. He let me continue fishing. I checked later, VERY carefully, and couldn't see any signs to the effect that photography was prohibited. Keep in mind folks, I was on the jogging trails, along the shore. All sorts of folks are parked there, picnics, fishing, jogging, wading. Its NOT like I was sneaking in and around the bridge pylons.

I WAS kicked out of a public event for photographing. Palm Beach County fair, two years ago. I photographed carnies, kids, animals, the Pig Races (of course). Some carny didn't like it, and called the PBSO (Sheriff). They told me to quit or leave. I left.

I was threatened - for displaying photographs - taken at DragonCon two years ago. Pics I had on the web were taking in public, not in the convention area. The way I figure it is... hey if you dress like a weirdo, and get drunk and parade in public you DESERVE to have your picture taken. It got a little nasty, and frankly it was a fight not worth fighting, so I took down the whole website. Basically some gal from Orlando (who I dont know and who I never remember meeting other than when I saw her and took the picture) didn't like her picture being used on my non-commercial webpage. It was just a "I went to the convention and look at the pictures I took" page, nothing special really. She mouthed off to my ISP, who threatened to pull my plug. I had to remind them that pictures taken in public are fair game to publication. They were only semi sypathetic said they'd look into it more. In the meantime I just took it all down in disgust.

So... I've been there, done that. People do get pissed for no LEGAL reason. Cops have no clue. The system is run by the man, can't change it, without a bigger fight than I'm willing to enter.

BTW, if somebody has Lexis/Nexis... CNN (cnn.com) ran a story about a year or so ago, about a guy who was taking pictures of the country landscape, and was arrested, briefly, because a farmer turned him in - photographing livestock from the road edge. Hoof-in-mouth was the big scare at that time.

Since 1945, I've photographed people in the UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Iceland, Greenland, Canada, Guam, Hong Kong, Burma, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Viet Nam, New Zealand ,and our own Southwest Indians (Apache, Hopi, Navajo, Zuni and Papago).

The only resistance I got were from our own Southwest Indians, who perceived that taking their pictures would steal their souls. I haven't been to countries with Hindu as the principal religion, so, I can't vouch for those.

There's a clear difference between "grab shots" of persons who resent it on the basis of political correctness and those who believe that there is a religious belief that it is immoral.

Take note, please

Just a comment on the post concerning Native Americans in the Southwestern USA. My wife and I were in Santa Fe, New Mexico, last month and made the rounds on the plaza. Under the portal of the Palace of the Governors, the local Native Americans sell their crafts and artwork. The place was thick with tourists and I was holding the leash on our dog as my wife looked over their offerings. She wanted to get a picture of me and the dog with the Indian vendors in the background but, as soon as she lifted the little Rebel 2000 with the 28-105 lens, a couple of them objected. Feeling duly chastised, my wife put away the camera and never tried to make any other pictures. Oddly enough, just a few moments before, she had been holding the dog and I had been walking around snapping away with my M6. I made no attempt to covertly snap pictures and I did not attempt to avoid photos of the same Native Americans who would subsequently object to my wife's efforts.

My wife is small. I am a little over 6 feet tall and weigh, uh, a bit more than 200 pounds--quite a bit. What I'm saying is that I am not easy to miss in a crowd. But a bottom-of-the-line SLR with a longer than average lens in the hands of a small, discreet person was more noticed than a Leica rangefinder in the hands of a big, bearded guy with long hair. I was not trying to be sneaky but if anyone saw me photographing them, they didn't object.

As this whole thread is about other people's perception of an over-blown "problem", people's perception of the person making the photograph is often more important than the actual process of taking the picture. It's dumb to make pictures when someone tells you not to do so. It's dumb to make pictures in some place you know you are not allowed to do so. And sometimes the laws are dumb concerning where you can and can't take pictures but it's dumber to break the law and pay the consequences than to just find another subject.

Bruno - I deal with legal and ethical aspects of candid, no-permission people

photography in Australia at the following URL:<P>

<A HREF="http://4020.net/unposed/critics.shtml#privacy">

4020.net/unposed/critics.shtml#privacy</A><P>

Basically, despite the mounting chorus from nay-sayers, it is neither illegal or

unethical, at least not in Aust.<P>

Things are quite different in Quebec or France though...

As far as I know Hindus have no prohibitions about taking photographs. For several years another photographer and I have photographed the Diwali (Hindu New Year)festival at a Hindu temple near Ft.Lauderdale, FL. We were doing this on assignment for the temple. Everybody was very friendly and cooperative, and we got to eat some fantastic food! A bit strange to have a Jewish photographer and a Muslim photographer together photographing a Hindu festival, but hey, isn't that what this great country is supposed to be about?

>>A bit strange to have a Jewish photographer and a Muslim photographer together photographing a Hindu festival, but hey, isn't that what this great country is supposed to be about?

Why are Americans so obsessed with religious distinctions? Because of my east Asian upbringing I couldn't tell a Jew, Hindu, Muslim from a Moonie. Over here we just don't like Communists.

<<How long before Leica M type photography banned?>>

The camera manufacturers are doing their best to ban it right now, by attempting to make film extinct and force us to use Gameboy-inspired contraptions instead of cameras. Unfortunately Leica is too busy making commemorative editions and silly non-Macro lenses and crying about not having the R&D to make a digital M work.

Ha! Sorry Wentong, it is a cliche & not PC, but Jerry's absolutely

right--many people here in the U.S. (& also in the UK, France, &

Italy in my experience) often assume that any E. Asian-looking

person w/a camera is a Japanese tourist. As a

Chinese-American, it used to bug the hell out of me, but now I

simply use the stereotype to my advantage. There have been

more than a few occasions where someone has started to

object to me taking pictures, but then given up & ignored me

when I just smiled & pretended not to understand English.

-----------

"It's cliche and probably not pc, but to illustrate the point, does

anyone pay attention to a group of Japanesse tourist snapping

away?"

>Charles Barcellona , nov 16, 2003; 03:12 p.m.

>.....50 years ago photography was seen as an artistic and 'healthy' >pursuit....

>Yes, and high schools had rifle teams because marksmanship was >considered a good thing too. Times have changed, to wit

>I'LL GIVE UP MY CAMERAS ONLY WHEN THEY PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD >FINGERS!

Then you better have a talk with your buddy Ashcroft--the UnPatriot act is coming to your town. Glad I didn't vote for that buffoon's boss.

How does the Patriot Act affect photography? I live in Manhattan. Not once have I been told not to photograph the city. Not once. You'd think that this would be THE most paranoid place for terrorism in the U.S. Yet, the cops pay no attention to me taking pictures. "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" God, I've never been so embarrassed while watching politics.

Wentong wrote:

�I am a Chinese by race and have to deal with �good mind for math� kind of bull everyday and am just really sick of it.�

I don't understand, Wentong. That's a compliment! It's true that statistically Asians are better at math than Europeans (and at a number of other things, too, including European classical music). So what?

Raymond wrote:

�Why are Americans so obsessed with religious distinctions? Because of my east Asian upbringing I couldn't tell a Jew, Hindu, Muslim from a Moonie. Over here we just don't like Communists.�

Well, mankind is inclined group prejudice and hatred. In Asia, it might be the prejudice of the Han against other Chinese ethnic groups, or the Japanese against the Koreans, or whatever. We Europeans have these three religions which we inherited from the Middle East, and we like to hate each other over these religions. Ironically, these three religions are closely related to each other and share many features and common origins.

Stupid? Yes! Maybe even more stupid than pure ethnic prejudice like in Asia. But it's part of an overall problem of mankind.

As to disliking Communists, I think we can all agree about that!

Cheers, Cameron

<p>Most of the current hysteria is over mobile phone cameras. In

Australia, for example, a man was charged with <a

href="http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7242430%255E1702,00.html">indecent

treatment of a child</a> for photographing a girl in a public

playground. </p>

<p>Several countries such as Saudi Arabia have banned on cellphone

cameras as a result. A new South Korean law requires manufacturers

to ensure cellphone cameras (and possibly all digital cameras) <a

href="http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,61197,00.html">beep

when a photograph is taken</a>.</p>

<p>As for traditional photography, you don't have to look too hard

to

find instances of photographers <a

href="http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?id=1887">detained by

police</a> for taking photographs in public. </p>

"'As to disliking Communists, I think we can all agree about that!' So, the day before the fall of Communism in the Soviet Union, you disliked all of its residents. The day after, you liked them all? Who did you find to dislike in their place?

Alan"

You're right!!! I take my words back. I should have said Communism, not Communists.