SMC M 28mm or third party?

paul_janda

I'm interested in purchasing a used wide angle for my K1000, most likely via ebay.

I'm trying to decide between the Pentax SMC M series 28mm f/2.8 and other options,

such as the Tamron adaptall 28mm f/2.5 and Sigma 28mm f/2.8. The lens will

mainly be used outdoors, but I won't rule out the possibility of occasional indoor

usage (thus f/2.5 seems more attractive than f/2.8). Thanks for your help.

You may also consider a Kiron (or Vivitar S-1) 28/2.0 you can find in K-mount one or twice a month on eBay. Is one of the bests ever made. The Vivitar (not S-1) 28/2.5 is also a great lens, just that I�ve seen it only in M42 mount. Finally, a good 28/2.8 might be an old (not new!) Tokina (the old model has 7 elements, while the newer one has only 5, and you can easily distinguish between them, by length: the 5 elements is a kind of a pancake � avoid it).

One thing to keep in mind,

If you are shooting indoors you'll need to use a 80A filter if shooting without a flash indoors (normal print film) to avoid 'yellowing'. If true, then you might want to consider what other lenses you normally shoot with so you can match up filter sizes. You can also play the step-up ring game, but it really slows you down. The 28mm M uses 49mm filters, not sure what the other lens uses.

If you can find a sweet deal on a 42-screw mount SMC 28 f3.5, take it. It's a 49 filter size. A screw-to-K adapter is plentiful and cheap. I don't worry too much about wide aperture metering or even focus with a 28. If you're shooting at f8, just set that as your hyperfocal setting (infinity mark at 8) and line up your shot.