king_fung1

I am in the painful process of upgrading my CF lenses to newer

CFi/CFE lenses(all of them are expensive). As far as the CF150mm is

concerned, I am considering to purchase the cheaper CB160mm lens in

order to save some money for upgrading other lenses. Does anyone out

there has experience with this CB lens? And by the way, does anyone

know where can I purchase brand new CB60, CB80 and the CB120? Please

help!

I have used the 160mm but I sold it since I used it too little. I am not a professional and for the kind of pictures I take, the 80mm is enough, I do not need another lens.

the 160mm is an excellent lens. Optically and mechanically there is nothing wrong with it. The mtf rating of this lens is however a bit lower compared to the 150cf. In real life photography the chances of seeing this difference is NIL. For some fundamentalists however, this lower mtf rating is reason enough to tell you that this is a very bad lens. I can vouch that it is NOT. Secondhand prices of mint 160's are generally lower than those of used 150's, for the simple reason that the 150 has a kind of mythical status. Buy the 160, use it and enjoy the pictures you make with it.

By the way, the internal coating of the 160 is the same as used in the CFi and CFe lenses and thus better than the kind used in the CF lenses.

I agree with Frank.

I have used the 160 CB for many years now. It is a superb and well made lens, fully up to Hasselblad/Zeiss standards. You will not miss your 150 CF unless you often shoot wide open at f/4. In fact, I think you will enjoy the superior ergonomics, both because of the newer barrel design and focusing grip which is a bit more offset from the front of the camera body. This lens is of such high performance that Zeiss's own Dr. Kornelius Fleischer (who is a photo.net hero) now has the 160 CB in his own pantheon of lenses.

Here is what the Dr. said in a January 22, 2002 post on the 160 CB:

"Now, here is an authentic comment from Zeiss:

I just subjected the Tessar 160 and the Sonnar 4/150 to resolution testing on real world film, not just lab measurement.

With the Tessar I reached more than 160 linepairs per millimeter at f/8. With the Sonnar, I reached 180. Not too much of a big difference, is it?

A Tessar, offered at half the previous price, is a steal. Especially if you consider that it comes with a straylight absorption capability which is far better than any 4/150 CF or 4/180 CF can offer. From my Zeiss perspective, I decided after the test to keep the Tessar in my personal arsenal and give back the Sonnars to the colleagues in the lab."

The 160CB suffers from the "red headed step child" syndrom. Most snobby Hassy users consider it the lesser lens because Hasselblad marketed it as a cheaper lens. So they do not sell well on the used market and can be found very cheap. I have owned this lens for about 1.5 years now and love it. And yes I got it very cheap on the big auction site (although the auction company is no longer using the word "auction"). I am sure you could pick a mint copy for about $650-$700.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

As far as Barry's question is concerned, the reason for me go upgrading my old CF lenses to new series is because after fifteen years of punishment, the old lenses need some long rest (or honeymoon)with new owners. I feel guilty that throughout these years, I did not even give them a year check up (all of them work perfectly and no need for any repair at all!)

King,

I bring my CF lenses (about 7 of them including my 903SWC) to Hasselblad for a periodically CLA, and was told that there was no need for anyone to upgrade the CF to the newer CFi or CFE lenses. Provided that you use the correct lenshood and filter; (if you want to protect the front elements), then is no need to upgrade to the newer lenses.

I personally, find the CF lenses to perform rather well for me, so no upgrade until there is a brand new lens out there by Zeiss.

Evan

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve

Welcome to the 160 CB family, I'm sure you will enjoy your new lens very much! I've had mine since 1999 and it has given me many fine photos, comfortable handling, modern build design pioneered for the CFi/CFE lens line and not a lick of trouble.

You asked what "CB" stands for. According to the Zeiss Camera Lens News # 2 (Fall, 1997) the "C" stands for the Prontor "central" shutter and the "B" stands for "Basic." The "Basic" concept was that with the three CB focal lengths offered (60mm, 80mm, 160mm) the photographer could fulfill at least 90% of all the day to day assignments.

The Zeiss article goes onto explain that the lower cost of CB lenses were arrived at by not providing the "F" function to allow focal plane shutter operation with Hasselblad 200 series bodies. Zeiss made it clear that no mechanical or optical compromises were made on CB line. When you get your 160 up and going you will know this to be a true statement.