Will they ever fix this board?

dmin-99

Well Wayne, you only fix something if you consider it broken in the first place...

As Bob states, the software allows messages to be stacked up either way, and it can be changed in an instant.

It's still oldest first, since that was how it was set up when I inherited moderation of the board. In the last two years I've had two emails commenting on it, so there didn't seem to be any good reason to change what people are used to.

I also kind of hope that it encourages people to look through the list of current questions and give a considered answer to those that interest them - and not just chat in the most recent.

Although I also find the Mamiya board irritating, it does force you to look for existing answers to your questions, rather than just asking new ones, which I guess is what Mamiya intended.

I'm happy to change the order of the MFD if there's a good number of readers who would like me to. Please send your votes:

mfd@albooth.demon.co.uk

(Oh, and can Florida residents please mark their emails clearly? I don't want to be re-counting...)

In defence of the Mamiya forum, it just does not only list its contents alphabetically. There is a way to set it in Preferences so that latest questions show up at the top of the heap or the bottom of the heap as you desire.

I have used this forum since 1997 and I do not see its current format a problem. What has this to do with MF photography?

Wayne, thanks for bringing this up; this board being out of sync with the others has been irritating me for some time now.

Andrew, the other boards accessible here (click Forums at the top of this page) are in "recent at top" mode. I vote several times to flip this one to match. I monitor all three boards, and it is a pain to remember this one is backward, and more painful to have to wait for the entire list to load to check for new messages.

Erik, what's how long you've used this board have to do with MF photography? It's backward from the others, and it's twice as easy to flip this one than to flip the other two. It just makes sense to have them all list in the same direction, and the other direction makes more sense than this direction (see above paragraph).

To all, you can register at the Mamiya forum, then click Unread Messages (which they stupidly put at the bottom of the page) to see just the new posts. After reading the first post, click Unread Messages again, until it tells you there are no more. You only need to check in there once or twice a week; it's such a crappy board that nobody goes there any more. Make your name and password short, because you gotta enter them every time you check in.

Has anyone ever thought that people will pass this board by as being inactive after logging-on several times and seeing the same posts at the top of the page? The dates don't come up on the list so why would anyone think that this board is any different from all the rest, and would have the new posts on the bottom? Why be different if it serves no purpose?

Andrew, keep up the good work! I like this forum and do not find it annoying that it is different - call me a contrarian! Perhaps all other boards should follow this one? This issue may have a higher priority than Florida chads, pregnant or otherwise. Okay . . . okay, I'll go have a prune juice and lurk about.

I like the fact that MFD is different from the others. MFD is largely free of the foolishness that sometimes crops up on the photo.net forums (fora?) and I think the "up-side down" order complements the difference.

Besides, I'm tough, and able to deal with the "painful" necessity to move the scrolling bar to see new posts (although I do need to rest and have a bourbon after the exertion).

I had hoped that the subject would be the resurrection of the old bogeyman - the time it takes to download. Several months ago, after a change was made, there were many comments. At the time, I didn't notice a problem. But now, with a 56K dialup, 64 RAM, Pentium III Dell, it takes between 45 and 80 seconds to full load. I can get a Java Loop weather radar sequence to load faster than that. What gives?

Pete Schermerhorn, in the glorious Berkshire hills of western Massachusetts

I too love this place. That said I would prefer a top to bottom order and also agree that such a change would not affect the quality of the messages contained therein. In fact there may even be a slight upsurge in traffic since some folks have stated they incorrectly sensed inactivity when checking in.

I hadn't looked at this thread till tonight because I couldn't believe it would have created any sort of response! Doesn't anyone have any questions about photography? Surprising how little it takes to irritate some people. I don't care, top bottom whatever. New postings in the middle might provoke an interesting response though.