they have had the camera since September 2, and i am beginning to

feel like i'm getting the runaround. most recently i was told that

the camera went to Leica NJ, where a small piece of glass that is

commonly broken when repairing the rangefinder alignment is being

replaced. unfortunately, Leica NJ doesn't have this part and they

are waiting for more parts from Japan.

isn't it an easy adjustment with the special tool? could a small

piece of glass break and be considered a common mishap with this

rangefinder adjustment? does Leica NJ really get parts from Japan?

please help...

something sounds fishy. if they have a Leica repairman then why did the camera get

sent to Leica?

did you pay using a credit card? if so, i'd ask the dealer to refund your money as the

item was defective and it's taking too long to get it back from them. i would then

contact my credit card company to dispute the charge. either that or the dealer sends

you another camera right away.

Japan, huh? They're jerking you around. I'd go in there screaming at the top of my lungs calling them liars, demand my money back! Carry on like a mad man in front of other customers. It can be very effective. I doubt that M Leicas have any Japanese glass parts. If they get huffy tell them to have you arrested and you'll explain to the judge what happened, along with Leica USA and a post on every photo chat and bulletin board you can locate.

Bill

Adorama are sometimes OK, sometimes not. They are certainly not above giving you a real runaround. I buy things from them that are simple - film, paper, NEW cameras and lenses (VERY rarely), but I would avoid them for s/h stuff (unless you feel lucky), or anything really where you want a feeling of confidence. Their prices are good for new stuff. I would much prefer to deal with KEH or Rich Pinto, or virtually anyone else for s'h stuff or where you want a reasonable price without the NYC attitude. B&H are much less pushy too, but their store is impersonal (which is sometimes good).

Robin Smith

Second everything Robin has said. Not sure if it helps you now though. Also not sure Al's scream-like-a-maniac ploy would get you a raised eyebrow in NYC, though it might get you tossed out onto West 18th St. by several burly gentlemen with beards.

They certainly don't update their website. A few months ago I ordered some items from them for the first time. I did this because their website indicated they had the items in stock, whereas the site of B&H indicated out-of-stock. When some of the items didn't arrive, I called, only to be told they were on indefinite back order and had been for quite some time. When I complained that their website indicated otherwise, and that was why I'd ordered from them (instead of B&H - my regular provider), the answer I got was, "There are <i>hundreds</i> of items on the website that are backordered. B&H's website updates dynamically, but we don't have that capability yet." Very reassuring. After having my credit card charged not once but twice for these items and still not receiving them over several weeks, then being lied to outrageously, I finally complained to upper management (which, to its credit, issued an immediate refund). That was enough Adorama for me. (Thankfully, B&H is also a photo.net sponser.) Maybe the "part from Japan" is an aftermarket item, not an OEM one?

to update, i talked to adorama today and they offered a complete refund, as they had during all previous conversations, or an immediate exchange for a demo leica m6ttl in chrome to be next day mailed to my home.

of course i chose the camera.

in closing, they apologized saying all big companies make mistakes as they had, but the good ones strive to work with the customer to make things right.

i agree. and if this camera arrives in mint condition as they described (without rangefinder misalignment), they will continue to have my business.

thank you all for your opinions and help.