Photo Lab index

This isn't so much a question as an offer. I located my 1941 Photo Lab

Index last night, and I found the answers to several recnent quations

that popped up here. One was 'Tri-X in the 40's'.

I have the complete Agfa, dassonville, Defender, Dufaycolor, Dupont,

Eastman Kodak, and Haloid processing formulas.

I attach a sample: Dupont Sease formulas.

Yep. Old Lab indexes are great for esoteric trivia questions. As are the British and American Photo Journals from any year from the late 1800's through 1970. I regularly check out one or more everytime I go to the library, just to see what people were printing back then, as well as formulas, techiques, old products no longer made, and items I now own that I have not enough information on.

I also have some older photo magazines that list some interesting items that have long disapeared but make life easier when you do find them. Like a 3x4 adaptor back for German 9x12 cameras. Brought my 1930's Zeiss Trona back to life a lot easier than finding septums for plate holders and ground glass plates, etc.

tim in san jose

Amen,Tim. I used to do the same thing,i.e., go to libaries to keep up to date on state-of-the-art developers. I still have Xerox* copies of Geoffrey W. Crawley's "Notes on Present Day Monochrome Emulsions and

their Development." Section 8 "Formulary." The article was published in British Journal of Photography" Jan 27, 1961.

I copied the pages a few years after 1961. It has formulas for FX-1,

FX-2,FX-2 FX-3,FX-4,FX-7, FX-10,FX II, FX -13 and times of development for then current films: Adox, Gavaert,Ilford and Kodak, .

P.S. *Xerox was the major, if not the only, copy machine used in those days.

• 1 year later...

I have a couple of PLI's, and they're a great source of info. One of them came complete

with a LARGE box of the quarterly updates, it had been updated thru 1960, and the box

had updates thru 1986 minus a few of them. Unfortunately due to hurricane Ivan many of

the updates were ruined :( but I still have a few I might continue and update the book with

the good ones. I also have another one that's never been updated, and is I believe the 9th

edition, from back in the 30's or maybe early 40's.

A friend of mine has one from 1974 and it's a totally different book from the earlier ones

(well, not totally, but majorly different).

-Mike