OT-- Rolex and Leicas ?

henry_ting2

Jeff,

Did I mention that nice watches last. I could sell mine for more than I bought it for new (not incl. inflation).

Show me anything from 1980 (design is older and much copied) design that is as timeless as a Submariner or Datejust or President or Seamaster...

<<My 23 year old Submariner has never been serviced.>>

You're lucky. Mine's snapped its mainspring and required service 3 times in 10 years. Finally found a decent watchmaker so hopefully I'll get more time out of it. My 2-tone snapped its first spring last month, I got it in '86. My wife's 2-tone has never been opened, it's about 13 years now.

Jeff, you know as well as I do what you were implying with your response to the service price. It's why you do things like put my quote in italics. What I dislike even less than such a response (if not to belittle my choice in watches, which you've done in past posts as well...why would you even bother to mention my post) is when people than do the ...'oh how could you think that's what I meant'. If I'm wrong (doubtful) then why in the past posts on expensive watches (pens, cars, whatever) do you always make a point of telling people how much better a purchase you've made, at only 1/10th the cost. At least lets call it what it is.

The Leica/Rolex analogy is not a far fetched one, the have more in common that the beautiful Lange one's being reffed to here. I did hold/inspect that Grand Complication from IWC when it's invetor was giving a speach here at a local watch store in DC. $300K... but oh what a little piece of mechanical engineering.

Jay, please email me the name/contact of your watch-guy - my Sub needs it's regular 5 years service (Steve, even if you had your Sub for 23 years and it is still running, I'd strongly advice you spend the money by now to have it CLA:ed. After 23 yrs the seals might be very weak and if you get moisture into the movement...)

Cheers,

p.

Bob, I don't think Jeff meant it to be a personal attack. I have a 30 year old Rolex my

father gave me and periodic CLA is pricey but I get it done anyway. It is shocking to

people who are not burdened with these things. A dealer tune up for my BMW is

$800 but I can buy a 1976 Pinto with that :)

If you do a search of previous posts Ray you'll find that Jeff routinely tells those that use fountain pens how much more cost effective his Bic's are, how much better his $15 watch is, etc. It's all done with a slightly sarcastic tone that gets, frankly annoying. If he decides to spend his money elsewhere, fine, but mine is mine to spend as I see fit. Sorry, it's the way I feel.

Rolex, Cartier etc beside keeping time, a function which they share equally with Timex, Swatch, possess another important quality which purely timekeepers lack: ie, increase in value, they make you richer, that is the reason for owning these beautiful watches.<p>

I am glad I bought the Oyster Pepetuals, Panther, Santos and Omega Deville earlier, the sticker prices of these watches are now beyong my reach.

A good point Martin. I bought my Oyster Perpectual Datejust new in 1975 for $450.00 CDN. Last year when I had it serviced I asked how much they thought I could get if I left it on consignment...after their cut I would still have made about $1800.00 on it. Taking into account inflation that is probably about the same value in 1975 dollars. I doubt you could get $200 today for a Timex you paid $50 for back then.

Rolex, Leicas are very good gifts for wife, son, daughter<p>

I always remember the IIIf my dad gave me as birthday gift<p>

I still wore the white gold bezel Omega Constellation my dad give

me as when I graduated from univerity<p>

When my daughter graduated from U of Toronto, we gave her a white gold bezel Rolex Datejust as present; we know she loves it, she wears

it everyday, I am sure this Rolex will be with her

for long time to come; I cannot think of any other better and long lasting gift, a gift that increase value over time.<p>

My wife loves her Cartier Panther,and Rolex Datejust I gave her as birthday presents.<p>

Try to give you wife and daughter Timex :)<p>

One side benift for me: my wife never say a word when I buy my

Leicas, Minox Platinum, Minox CLX, TLX, IIIs, Bs, Cs, Leica M3 2.1,

Edixas...

<p>