OT-- Rolex and Leicas ?

henry_ting2

Yes Germany indeed. Nothing to do with Rolex, but the past thread was using Rolex in comparing with Leicas and I thought the Lange & Sohne will be more appropriate in comparison. Lange & Sohne was revived after Germany's unity. "Grand complications" has nothing to do with IWC. It applies to complicated perpetual mechnical watches with all the bells and whistles. Patek Philippe is known for its heritage and even includes a moonphase with astronomical stars in rotation with its dial. This particular watch is cheap, in the horological sense and especially compared with PP.

Right now I am wearing the IWC my wife got me because the strap on my faithful $20 digital watch broke. I wish she had bought me something useful and cheaper like an EOS IS zoom instead. Anyway my view on expensive mechanical things is that I hope more people would buy them just so these companies can survive. IWC bit the dust years ago and it is now owned by some huge luxury group; As usual the new owners farm out the movements. So avoid IWC and seek out the independent watchmakers. A friend just yesterday told me about Union which is independent, German and relatively no so expensive.

"Anyway my view on expensive mechanical things is that I hope more people would buy them just so these companies can survive."

Ray, horology watches are the world's greatest ripoffs, IF one thinks that collecting them will return handsome profits. For example, a regular Patek complicated model (model 3940) lists for over $50,000 USD and if one is to sell it at Ebay couple of years later, one would be lucky to get $25,000 out of it. Just like Leicas, the collectible ones are really vintage watches in very limited editions and the auction record is a Patek sold at Sotherby for a cool $5mil. Pricing of any collectible item is of course dictated by "demand" and the driving force behind it are the "Rich and Famous" who creates such artificial demands. Watches are watches, right ?, but in the horological world, its existence is not a function of timekeeping, which a Timex would probably do better. I think the way Leica is heading, the company is trying very hard to position itself into that classification. So in a few years, when everybody are using digital cameras, we all would be fondling our Leicas.

Henry, I don't collect watches or anything else and and believe the best investment one can make is to one's health and family. I am not into watches at all but I appreciate the idea of preserving an art form that will be loss if the suckers wise up and buy Timex. For the same reason I applaud the rich suckers who end up buying the Hermes MP kit.

Down the street from where I work there is a whole street full of electrical repair shops. If your house fan is broken some old man there will rewire the coils and repack the bearings and send you on your way. Well here comes the $20 fans from China that breaks after a year. You buy it and throw it away. The art of simple motor repair in time is loss. The market dictates.

I agree Ray. The world is heading towards that direction. The disposable items are not exclusive to those coming from China. I think economics dictate on the price. I had a BMW (Y2K model) and it was constantly breaking down right after the warranty period. Now, no private garage can fix it because it requires a computer hookup to diagnose the problem. Even dealers were inept in their ability to fix it. I finally sold it out of frustration and bought a Japanese car, thus ending my problem.

An interesting point came to light yesterday, regarding our wonderful 'disposable' society. I recently, as you may bave read, replaced the shutter and had a complete CLA on my 46 year old IIIg...runs smooth as silk now. Yesterday I had a client come in with his EOS D30 to get a replacement window for the AF sensor (his had fallen off). After calling Canon Parts I was faxed a schematic of the D30 listing all the parts so I could give them the proper part #. Fully half of the parts # were followed by the note "part no longer available". This on a 3 year old camera. I wonder if this is the road we wish to take. To me it is indicative of the way we in the west (both North America and Northern Europe) tend to look upon third world peoples, or our own 'down and outers'. Just a thought...way off topic.

Watches with the "cheaper to replace than repair" philosophy were around long before quartz movements and digital displays. Vintage watch collecting is alive and well, and skilled watchmakers not only abound but there are schools and apprecticeships everywhere. A skilled watchmaker can make a good-quality mechanical movement accurate to about 1 min/week which is good enough for 99.99% of people, and can make or modify parts where originals are long unavailable. I own a couple Rolexes of fairly recent (80's-90's) vintage which are my daily-wears, but I also collect and wear vintage Omega Seamaster dress watches and I have yet to come across one that my watchmaker couldn't make like-new--for a *lot* less than a CLA on a Leica from DAG, BTW.

The analogy between mechanical watches and mechanical cameras has validity in some respects, but regarding long-term value it fails. This is because cameras depend on a consumable product which may or may not be available long-term. That is film. As long as there is time, a vintage watch will be worth repairing.

Jay makes some good points, except....where I live we have one authorised Rolex dealer/repair shop (a few more sell, but only one service centre). In fact the cleaning, with crystal I recently had done my Oyster Datejust was about 50 bucks more than the shutter replacement on my IIIg. I do agree that a vintage watch is worth repairing because, till the laws of physics change, time is time. But the lack of film is not a valid argument with the Leica (or any other camera). Telling time is what the watch is for...the camera however is for makin IMAGES!! As long as there is film, and I can continue to make images that properly make will last lifetimes, and hopefully give joy to others...than the camera is worth fixing.

I think a much better analogy is that film cameras will be like black-powder guns. You can still buy black powder and watting and percussion caps and patch grease and bullet molds, and you can still get a gunsmith to work on them, and there are current-production guns modeled after the old ones (if you're squeamish about accidentally having an oldie blow up in your face). It's a niche market with its own loyal devotees and a supportive cottage industry despite that military and law-enforcement personnel (the analogous equivalent of pro photographers) and 99% of civilian gun-owners (the analogous equivalent of amateur photographers)don't use them.

Jay...I actually feel that I was ripped off on my last Rolex 'cleaning' (with crystal $375.00 CND). Do you have some addresses of the people you've used? It may be worth Fed-Ex'ing my next cleaning (I've a Daytona that needs service) to one of these people. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but I now have a burr up my arse Jeff. Do I comment on or tell you how to spend your money? Do I in fact make any comment on how you live your life? Maybe this forum would run a little smoother if so many haven't decided that they know what's best for the rest of us. Jeff...when someone officially pronounces you god, or the master of the universe or some such thing then I'll harken to what you have to say in this regard. Till then keep idiotic statements like these to yourself.