Cor, that's a big one, mister...

h._p.

Do you recall George Orwell's essay on naughty picture post cards you could buy a seaside resorts? This reminds me of that essay.

But I say, Harvey, I notice you too use the Op/Tech strap for your M3. I do to. I love them but do tend to wear out rather quickly.

No, Olav, it's actually shutter-speed dial lock/enhancement device. The rectangular window actually lets light in, which bounces light off the top surface of the dial, which is then magnified on the top surface of the device. This is so you can read the selected shutter speed more easily. And it doesn't need batteries!

You can still fit a light meter to the camera without having to remove the device, but you'd block the magnifier window showing the shutter speed.

:^P

Olav, Kharim is pulling your leg. It's an MC meter which couples to the shutter speed dial. It has a Selenium cell so needs no batteries. It's one of a series of meters made by Metrophot for the Leica M cameras which have a slot cut in their shutter speed dials to couple to the meter. There were three or four versions: the original 'M' which is bulkier and a little less sensitive; this one; the 'MR' which uses batteries and a Cadmium Sulphide photo resistor and the MR4 which I believe only works entirely correctly with the Leica M4 (someone will correct me if I'm wrong :-))