Mamiya C330F loose screen

witold_grabiec

I've not had a C330F in my hands in many years. Now I own one again

and I've noticed the screen frame is somewhat loose. It does not

seem right, although there isn't a lot of play. However, this couses

it (along with whichever finder attached) to move around a little

and sure is annoying.

Has anyone experienced this and have a solution?

Graham,

If you're thinking of the foam between screen and frame than that's not it. My screen sits within the frame nice and tight. It's the frame itself that moves around when mounted on the camera. Unless there is a piece of foam around the mirror chamber onto which the screen frame would be placed (??).

Now I'm thinking of the three studs under the frame that serve to adjust screen to film plane. They're well below upper edge of the mirror chamber, meaning not even close to touching the screen frame. I have not checked the focus collimation yet and I will do that first as this may well be the problem. Any input to confirm this?

Looking at my own camera, I have the same model, there does not appear to be any adjustment possible to the 3 studs you mention. There is a slight ammount of movement in the whole frame on my own camera. I'm guessing, maybe a 1/32inch if that. The camera works without any problems. How about the 4 pins on the outside of the camera that the frame locates on. Are they in good condition? Also the swinging lock clip, bent maybe? Tough call not being able to compare the 2 camera's side by side. Have you used the camera yet, if so how did it do?

The three studs are indeed for focus tune up. They do require a special tool (gentle plier approach will work too) but you can lower/raise them as required. Usually this should be a one time adjustment however, some lenses (especially if tampered with) may have a focus off set and readjustment might be needed. Anyway, all I'm driving at is that having the screen frame moving around a bit does not seem right (mine appears to have about same amount of play as yours). I will check focus accuracy first and get back to this thread with my findings.

Christian,

Which big knob are you thinking of? The one that secures the finder?

There is no other knob.

Screen frame is secured in place by the latch on the front (by lens standard). The knob that secures the finder is integrated into the screen frame and does not affect the way screen frame is secured at all. By virtue of the screen frame being loose the finder moves right along with it.