WD2D+ vs PMK

zonesys

According to a lot of articles and forum exchanges WD2D+ would be more

suitable for printing on VC paper because his film stain "orange-yellow"

coloured instead of "brown-greenish" with PMK...

I've just done a test with an HP5+ 120 rollfilm half developed in WD2D+, half

in PMK. Developers were provided by Photographers' Formulary (liquid

pack). I strictly follows developing instructions (PMK : "Book of Pyro" ; WD2D+

: PFormulary technical sheet).

I've found that stain color with WD2D+ is very close to PMK stain... more

"brown-greenish" than "yellow-orange" as claimed !

Have I missed something ? Has somebody done the same experience ?

On next days, I'll do print test ot this film on VC paper to see if beyond the first

look there is something really different or not... and if it is valuable to leave

PMK to WD2D+

Roux, did you use distilled water when you mixed your developer? This is one variable many people ignore when they mix developers. There may be some minerals in your house water that can affect the developer. If the stain looks the same and you used distilled water, perhaps you have found that the color is from the pyro in the mix.

Try printing both sets of negatives in the same contact sheet and see what you get. I think you will find that they both print well, but there may be a difference your eye can not see in the negatives. Please let us know what you have found when you print. A lot of information about pyro has been lost over many years. It is nice to see this information come back to us by these experiments. Thank you for your curiosity and willingness to share with us.

There was an interesting post in photo.net at:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004jfb

The photos showed the WD2D+ being much sharper and grainier than the PMK. His PMK shots seemed lower in contrast, and he concluded that he would continue to use PMK when minimising contrast was necessary. I was dubious about the poster's PMK, because my PMK negatives are plenty contrasty. Anyway, I concluded that the grain would make WD2D+ more suitable for larger negatives.

Anyway, it seems that there is a wide variation in PMK stain colour. Mine are brownish with just a hint of olive green (with HP5+ which is supposed to stain readily). Don't know why.

I tested WD2D+ recently. I had the same experience: A stain very close to PMK. I did not use distilled water. But I also found that my negs were very thin and low contrast at what should have been the correct time. Also, the stain is very dependent upon processing, more so than with PMK.

I know that one must figure out how to use a new combination. But the bottom line for me is that, over ten years ago, my first PMK negs were right on the button and I've always found it easy to use with any film I've tried it with. I'm going to stick with what I know and love. I'm sure others will figure out how to use WD2D+ and come to swear by it.

Paul