wide angle lens WITH barrel distortion

gregory_nicholson

I'm looking for a wide angle lens (35mm format) in the 17 to 24mm

focal length with a ton of barrel distortion. Like a 15mm fisheye but

not that wide. I don't care if it's third party or a manufactures

brand. If it's the later I'll get a camera to use it. If it's third

party I'll find one in my mount. The more distortion the better, it

just has to be ultra wide but not a fisheye. Thanks for taking my

question and any responses are appreciated.

Look for a cheap zoom whose wide end is in the range you target.

From photodo, it appears that Sigma's 17-35/2.8-4 has -4.82% on the wide end. There's a chance that any cheap 19-35 would do as well (-4.28% for the vivitar one). Tokina's prime 17/3.5 has -3.35%.

In reality, your best bet is to get a 0.42x converter and to use it on a consumer zoom. I have one that cost me $30 on eBay and that has exactly the distortion you want.

Check out Pentax's fisheye zoom. It's a full-frame fisheye at the wide end, more or less a normal wide angle at the longer end. Should be a semi-fisheye at the in-between settings. I think it's a 17-28mm, goes for around $400.

You could probably get the effect you wanted digitally with a rectilinear or fisheye lens to start with.

I just looked through photodo and found the Centon 18-28 f/4-4.5 has a whole bunch of distortion at 7.29-3.95%. It also has one of photodo's worst ratings of .9. I don't know if this will work being so bad. I also looked at B&H and found a Phoenix 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom. This is probably better optically.

So, it's a toss-up between the Phoenix zoom and the .42x on whatever cheap but good 35-70 I can find locally. About the 35-70, do I want to find one with a lot of distortion and would a 24-50 or 28-70 be better as it may have more distortion to start with? If I can't find a standard zoom with a lot of distortion I'll probably use my 50mm.

One final question about the .42X converters; will the results give a good picture enlarged to 8x10 mounted on a decent 3rd party 35-70? I'm sure the Phoenix lens will be fine at 8x10 but may not have enough distortion to be dramatic.

The Pentax fisheye zoom is what you want. You can dial in as much distortion as you need, up to a full frame fisheye effect, just by turning the zoom ring.

I had a Phoenix/Vivitar 19-35, and I don't think it has near the effect that you want.

Another thing to try is use a regular full frame fisheye and crop the edges off. Percieved distortion will be a matter of how much you crop.