Coffee with Al K.

Had the pleasure of having coffee with Al Kaplan a couple of weeks

ago. What a nice experience! We talked about life in south Florida,

photography, family, fishing, bar fights and local politics among

other things. He's quite an interesting guy and was very helpful.

Also got to see a lot of the beautiful vintage prints displayed on

his website.

Hope we can do it again soon. And thanks Al, for the signed print.

Its been mounted and now hangs in my office.<div>0068Qx-14694984.jpg.f1f47d561d1dd0079809aee9d9287daf.jpg</div>

Thanks, Victor, for the neat post on the forum. I just love that photograph! Travis, no lenses in the shirt pocket! A bunch of papers, business cards, and a Zippo is about all. My former father-in-law got me started on rolling my own. I was married to a German lady from Karlsruhe. Now every year when she comes back from visiting her folks her dad sends me some of his favorite tobacco, which I can't find here in Florida. It's name? "Miami Style"! Otherwise I smoke Drum. It's a pain in the ass to roll a cigarette so I smoke less.

There must be some some other South Florida readers of this forum! Let's get together once in awhile. Contact me or Victor and we'll try to set something up.

Am I the only one here that is always wrong about how I imagine the faces of the regulars that post here? I have a mental picture of how I think everyone looks, based on my perception of things like age, life-experiences and location.

That really fine shot of Victor's blows my mental Al Kaplan face out of the water. We should seriosly consider a head-shot thread that we can refer to when we want to see "who's talking" here.

Drew, James, Grant, Albert, and of course Al, thanks! Manu, nice atmosphere on that shot!

Chris, we both live in SE Florida, Al is in North Miami and I'm in Margate. If you're ever in the area...

James and Albert, nice idea about the threads. Don't know how many of us have had the opportunity to meet other forum members. I know it's been done before, may just need to search through the archives, but it would be nice to have a resource asto where we all are geographically.

Regards<div>0068cO-14698484.jpg.8d3ce05abfb2fc72189612569a357938.jpg</div>

Great to see a picture of one of my favorite forum participants. Al, you look exactly as I expected (though, come to think of it, that could be because I'd already seen your photo on your photo.net page). And full of verve and vitality. <p>

So you roll your own, huh? Me too. Ever try <a href="http://www.thetobaccoshop.com/GaulCap.htm">Gauloises Caporal</a>? Great stuff, four or five bucks a package. I'd offer to roll one for you but it'd be stale by the time it got there.

• 2 weeks later...