I used the "top photos" pages as a way to browse and find

photographers who's images I'd like to see more of. Using the

different search methods I routinely found something new to learn

from. Often the images that would catch my eye were a year or two

old.

Unforunately, the recent change to the ratings system has pretty

much assured that (with the exception of those who resubmit their

work for critique and achieve 400+ ratings) the top photo pages will

be dominated by this week's posts. Pretty useless in my opinion.

The problem with Number of Ratings doesn't affect any of the other views that rely on the average score. Why not try those? I shall have to think about how to deal with the high numbers of ratings being produced by the recent change for certain photographers.

Bert, you can find yourself in <a href="http://www.photo.net/gallery/photocritique/one-critic?rater=729388&period=2000"> this collection </a> of 300 images. You probably will not find everyone's "best" image here, but it is meant to be wide ranging.<br> Then follow Carl's advice by actually visiting the portfolios of selected photographers.<br> There is no particular order of preference (apart from a couple of 7 ratings), all are simply listed by year and date. Cast your net wide and you can find all sorts of great stuff at photonet.

Both Carl and nude advices are very interesting. <p>

Since we (almost) all agree that there is an inflation over recent months in rating, I would suggest to Brian 2 things:

- to get historical not 'up to today', but 'to past date', lets say not the last 3 months, since 1 year, 3years, but let say the 1000 best ratings in 2002, 2001, 2000.

- to get the highest average photo per 500 DIFFERENT photographers over the last month, 3 months, year...

The problem with relying on the "top photos" or any similar system to find photographers whose images you'd like to see more of is that you're allowing other people to dictate what you see.

Why not simply browse folders and presentations at random? Break loose from the herd.

Lex,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't found a way to get to the back alleys of PN. Once an image has been posted for a few days it seems pretty much irretrievable unless it gets enough attention to make the "top photos" list, or another of the photographer's images is in the list, or the photographer comments on an image that makes a list.

I happened to like picking an image, then clicking on one of the commentors to see their images and repeating the process. After several clicks you're looking at images you have no other way to get to. It's the PN version of six-degress-of-seperation.

The problem is that the images that had months or even years of history in the comment links are being replaced with images that have no history.

If you've got another way to get to the old files I'm all ears!

<i>Why not simply browse folders and presentations at random? Break loose from the herd.</i><p>

How far back do want to go, Bert? Do you have broadband access?<br>

Example, if you start <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo-of-the-week/"> here, </a> then pick a week/month/year and open up the POW, say <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=124906"> this one. </a> You are guaranteed of a long thread of comments. Just click on any photographer's names and you're in the 'old files' (as old as you choose).

Now that I think about it, the easiest way to find old images is to

check out a long time member's personal favorites list and hit

"previous". That will bring up the oldest 6/6 images . Keep hitting

'previous'.