for better shots with respect to the faster focus and metering. My

concern is I won't have much time or money to do a whole lot of

playing around with the new body. Is the learning curve very steep

to use the Elan 7 coming from the Rebel. I tend to use either Tv or

P modes most often. Oh, im going to be hiking so i don't want to

carry two bodies.

<em>helpful for better shots with respect to the faster focus</em>

<p>

Will an Elan7 be fast enough? Some of those mountains move really really quick!

<p>

<br>

Metering "problems" can be solved by bracketing your shots. Faster focus is a tougher call. But how fast of a focus do you possibly need for landscape shots? Ok, I guess some wildlife shots could do well with a faster AF, but you could probably manually focus quicker.

<p>

Buy film. Worry about a body later :)

You'd do much better to spend the money on a better lens or two - even second hand. Look at the 50mm F1.8 and the 28mm F2.8 - great for landscape work and very light, and you'll be amazed at the improvement in the quality of your shots.

But if you are going to get the 7e before the trip, use it like your Rebel in Tv and P and get fancy after the trip when you can "waste" a little bit of film but not miss out on the opportunities.

But I think it would be safer to take the Rebel since you're used to it. Also, unless there are features you need on the 7e, you may want to stick with the Rebel and spend the money on glass, better glass than what the Rebel came with - you may very well get more bang for the buck this way ...

If it's a question of photographing the wildlife, then a 100-300 F4.5-5.6 USM or 70-200 F4L +1.4x TC is more essential than a new body (I'd avoid the 75-300 lenses). Even then, AF may not be the best way to get shoots in focus where you have animals partially hidden by trees and bushes - as I found when on safari in South Africa.

Thanks for the advice, im sorta relieved the majority said no the pressure (and the cash!) 100570.2004@compuserve.com just brought up the other thing i was thinking of the teleconverter... I was thinking of getting a 2x (or is 1.4 better) the lens ill take with me on all hiking excursions is my new 28-135 IS and i already own the 75-300 IS (wish now i had looking into the 70-200 4L but I didn't at the time and the idea of selling the old and offsetting the new is too daunting prior to my trip.) Will the 2x (or the 1.4x) teleconverter work with the 75-300 IS or (28-135 IS) I know that i will need to focus the lens but im not sure if IS will work.....but will the contacts all align properly with the zoom and the rebel G?