HIE and Pressure Plate

lyle_gordon

Im going to be shooting some HIE and ive heard that the lack of an

anti-halation layer can cause problems with a non-flat pressure plate.

The pressure plate im going to use (Nikon) has a waffle like pattern

is there something I can do (put tape over it) to eliminate the

problem or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks,

Lyle, my K1000 has a dimpled pressure plate, and after a half dozen rolls of HIE, I have yet to spot the slightest trace of dimple pattern on my pictures. I won't say it can't be a problem, but doesn't seem to be near the problem it's made out to be.

If you're in the experimental stage anyway, I'd say, don't do anything, just shoot the film and see if there's any effect.

The "fix" I've read of, is to take a piece of thin black paper, like the backing paper off 120 film, and tape it over the pressure plate- being careful not to get things gummed up where you don't want it. I haven't tried this, and won't till I actually see a problem.

Avoid over-exposure and you should avoid any artefacts from reflection off the pressure plate. There are those who advise bracketing when shooting IR but since the film has no AH layer over-exposure is self-defeating. I rate at 400 ASA and shoot through an R25 filter. I also use an incident meter (set at 50 ASA to allow for the R25 filter). I shoot as the meter indicates and I don't bracket. Typically on a bright day (full sun) this gives ne 1/60 at f/11.5. If you intend to use the camera's internal light meter then note that some meters are red-sensitive and cause under-exposure. Check that with the filter in place your meter indicates a three stop reduction in light.

I shoot HIE rated at EI-640 in my OM-2 which has a dimpled back plate and I notice occasional faint suggestions in it. It's a matter of experimenting to find out what conditions this occurs in and what can be done to prevent it if necessary. I've seen suggestions that taping something CAREFULLY over the pressure plate in the camera (the back-paper of 120 film or a piece of dark plastic from Ilford B/W paper lightproof plastic bag perhaps) may avoid any pressure-plate patterns ... hopefully without causing scratching or focus problems. I haven't done this myself (yet) but may do it just to see what happens. Otherwise, I love the "HIE look."

I haven't used HIE in a while, however fifteen years or so ago I

used it quite a lot. The camera was a Minolta SRT that had a

waffle pattern on the pressure plate that left big square flare

spots on the film. I corrected for the problem by making an

aluminum foil pressure plate cover and then blackening it with a

sharpe marker. The foil was folded so that the ends tucked

under the long ends of the pressure plate, so that it would stay in

place while the film slit over it. I found that care was needed to

ensure the cover was perflectly flat over the pressure plate - no

folds or creases. I used it for many years, took it off and put it

back on repeatedly. Make sure that the blackening is very even

and complete.