Winogrand Interview (continued)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<I>"For what its worth, I'm with Bender. I don't understand much of what he's saying, but nonetheless, I agree." -- Victor Cruz</I><P>Me too. A lot of talk on both sides of Winogrand (Bender and anti-Bender factions) feels like eavesdropping on a bunch of wine connoisseurs, or pseudo wine connoisseurs. Kinda like Leicaphiles actually, discussing bokeh.

I've been away and missed all the fun. Cecil Vyse and Casaubon do come to mind, however both were too successfully controlling, even if undermined in the end.

Some of Michael's assertions remind me more of one or two of my ex-undergraduate students, who would delight in browbeating the wiser and quieter of their peers with their newly discovered rubrics. Replete and full with the high promise of Modernism's sense of its own universalism and infallibility, they would take it as a revealed truth and strut before the mirror in their minds, oblivious to their own foolishness. The best antidote was always to let the affliction pass and not worry too much if it didn't.

It is not the peudo-intellectualism or the half-hearted stab at understanding formal aesthetics that is troubling, but the rudeness to those he does not know but could learn from.

Well, Herbert found an ingenious way to sabotage discussion by posting over megabyte of absolutely unconnected trash images. Congrats.<br>

And then Clark came with a display of homegrown wisdom. Well, Clark, as many others you obviously cannot tackle the issue (of Winogrand's artistry or lack of it) by either discussing it in terms of understanding I offered, or by supply any coherent understanding of your own - and so your opposition is relegated to striking poses and attitudes.<br>

Anyone can claim anything, clark, but without a clear statement of yourown interpretation, reasoning and logically formulated support of it a mere claim to an attitude of a man who knows better remains a bluff that can fool only a community of tapeworm brains - which is your intended audience after all is.<br>

Crude and primitive bluffer.