Delta 100 & 400

Hi all,

Some time ago, I did buy a lot film rolls (35mm). But almost all of a

different brand/type/iso. This to try them out ...

So, you all said it was better to stick to one type of film and 'get

to know' it ... and 'get control over' it ...

Now, I decided to go for the DELTA 100 and DELTA 400.

My question ... can the people who have experience with these films

help me out ? Can you tell me which developer and ISO works best with

these films ? Please don't answer that the ISO depends on the

equipment, etc ... That's something I've read a lot of times and

I'm 'aware' of ...

What I need is some information from where I can 'start' ...

Thanks !

Marc.

They are really different films. I quite like Delta 400, but when I want a slower fine grained modern film, I use T-Max 100.

Delta 400 looks great at EI 200 in Perceptol stock, 12 min., 68 deg. F., agitating for about 5 sec. every minute.

If you want more speed with only a little more grain and contrast, try it at EI 400 in D-76 (1+1), 14 min., same temp. and agitation scheme.

Personally, I think it's criminal to process 35mm Delta 400 in anything other than XTOL... but that's just my preference :)<br>

Everyone has there own ideas as to what looks good, but like I said, Delta 400 in XTOL is just very smooth and grainless (for a 400 film), and I find it to be a great combo. All of this work that I did at Eastern State Penitentiary was shot on 35mm Delta 400, processed in XTOL 1:1.<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.grantheffernan.com/pics/photoessays/esp/index.html">Eastern State Pen</a>

Marc,

I've had good luck with all of the Delta films in Xtol, diluted either 1:1 or 1:2. Some developers will give you a greater accutance effect and others smoother grain. I have yet to find a developer that does a better job overall (speed, gradation, fineness of grain, and sharpness) than Xtol. Some may prefer DD-X--certainly Ilford does-- but it is considerably more expensive.

As stated before go to www.Ilford.com

As for ISO, I tend to set it to the rating the film manufacturer recommends, and then adjust my dev time to suit.

I'd use Ilfosol S with the two films you mention, particulary the 400.

Whenever I use a new film or deveolper I always bracket the first few rolls.

I have also used XTOL 1:1 and 1:2 on Delta 100 with excellent results. Check out the Kodak XTOL tech pub on their web site for starting development times. If you use a condenser enlarger, you might need to cut development time some, but your own testing will determine that.

I always write down the developer, dilution, development time, and temp on the negative sleeves for future reference. That way I can figure out which works best under certain types of lighting conditions.

I consider Delta 400 in straight Microdol-X to be pretty much unbeatable. Perceptol should be similar. My style does not call for extreme sharpness and edge effects, and the combination of softened grain and excellent shadow separation works very well for me. I use EI 320, normally shooting in fairly low light. In brighter light there's not so much difference from other developers.

I've never had much luck with Delta 100 so can't make a recommendation there.

"Is there nothing else that works good with Delta 100 ? "

There is loads of information available at www.ilford.com

Ilford will point you towards which of it's own developers are most suitable and will also give recommended times for many of the other developers that people commonly use with their films, including those made by other companies.

Marc: I have not used much of the Delta 100, but I have used lots of all three generations of the 400. Lots of developers are good for it. I prefer Paterson developers as they are generally the sharpest available. I have not had good luck with Kodak Xtol, though others have.

Start with Ilford's recommendations or Paterson's, but bear in mind you may find the recommended times too long in some cases. I usually expose Delta 400 at about 250, and HP5+ at 320.

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/chemistry/data.html