4X5 question- Tank?

I have recently gotten my old speed graphic out, and want to play

with some 4X5 again. Last time I did 4X5 I had a proper darkroom, and

did the negatives in trays. I now lack a darkroom, but I do have an

old Yankee 4X5 tank. It looks like this can be used in daylight, very

similar to a reel tank, but bigger and clunkier.

My questions are, how do you agitate, as it has no cap where the

solutions go in? How do you adjust for the filling/emptying time?

My next question is about film.My favorite medium format film is APX

100 in Rodinol. I have worked up procedures that work very well with

this combo. Is the 4X5 version any different? I realize I will need

to adjust things for the camera, lens, scanner, etc, but if the film

is the same as in 120 I should already be pretty darn close.

<i>My favorite medium format film is APX 100 in Rodinal ...

<p>

Excellent</i> combination in sheet film

<p>

<i>It looks like this can be used in daylight, very similar to a reel tank, but bigger and clunkier</i>

<p>

Oh yes, much bigger, much clunkier.

<p>

<i>how do you agitate, as it has no cap where the solutions go in? </i>

<p>

I rock from side to side, along the sheets. Almost always get uneven development on the edges but I've found no way around that.

<p>

<i>How do you adjust for the filling/emptying time? </i>

<p>

Doesn't look like it would, but the tank actually fills and drains quite quickly. Doesn't look light tight either, but it is. It takes a ton of chemistry, and it sloshes all over the place, and you can't get even development. If I were to give one piece of advice on using the Yankee tank, it would be to put it in a catapult and fling it as far away as possible. Cheap, not worth the money. Supposedly the Combi is better ...

Bruce, Eugene Singer of this forum has written a very good online article about using the combi tank in a dip and dunk fashion. All three tanks fit into a plastic dishtub. I'm an old diehard tray developer....but I have to admit Eugene's method makes a lot of sense. It doesn't require a lot of space, and the combi allows intermittent agitation, which the Jobo does not. Sorry I don't have the link. Maybe Eugene will chime in or e-mail him.

Here's the link for Eugene Singer's article:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/alternative-developing/

I have developed thousands of sheets this way since 1967. It is the ONLY method I have ever found that works perfectly. It's absolutely foolproof.

Take the tray of tanks into a closet somewhere to do the developing. Mix the chemicals and wash the film at the kitchen sink.

Actually there is no reason you can't use anything from stand to contstant agiation with a jobo 2500 series. Just fill the tank up with chemicals. Obviously you'll lose one of the advantages of jobo tanks [low chemical use] but with B&W you're likely always using alot more chemicals then the min claimed by Jobo.

Bruce, I tried the Yankee's twice and didn't care for them right off the bat. I

process with single 4x5 SS hangers and years ago had SS tanks made that I

can do up to 30 sheets at a time. I just prefer the way I can agitate with them

and always get smooth and even results. As far as the same, the emulsions

should be close but a test run is in order to make sure. I'm a real stickler on

advising test runs. This way you work out any glitches and there are no

surprises. The tones may be smoother but there is a chance that your "same"

emulsion may become denser or not with the same soup.

I'm using PMK Pyro with the "clunky" tank. I was told by a professional that the tank would not wok well and especially not with PMK. I use Tri-x and Efke 25. Both have the same agitation cycle which is 1:00 constant agitation, followed by cycles of 15 seconds until completion. Side to side motion, twisting and the occasional verticle shake and thump. Make sure you start with a full tank!

I use a timer and allow for full time in the tank, then pour out after the timer dings. Just use a consistent method and stick to it. If I am pushing development, I am careful to dump as fast as possible into another vessel (PMK for second soak).

Excellent results. No light leaks after the film is in, but I am careful with lights and don't let any light shine directly into the opening. No problems, even with PMK which can have streaking problems due to inconsistent agitation.

Many of us use Unicolor or Beseler 8 x 10 color print drums. These work best if you have a motor base. Both the drums and motor bases may be found regularly on ebay. I use the Beseler drum and I can process up to four sheets at a time using about 6-8 oz of each solution. I get very evenly developed negatives without defects. www.largeformatphotography.info has some information on using the Unicolor drum for this purpose.