Your first camera, what was it?

boz

Anyone remember their first camera, and have you tried using one

again? My first camera was a kodak instamatic 177x. I cant find one

but do have a 50x somewhere(film , hmmm,could be fun!)

My first SLR was a Zenith TTL and thanks to a firend on the AP site I

have one again,even tho the mirror is sticky at times.

So, what about you lot, what were your first cameras and do you still

use one?

Larry

It was 30 years ago that I caught this photo bug using a Pantax Spotmatic w/ 50mm 1.8 lens. Learned by wasting tons of film for my college yearbook staff. I always used a hand held light meter (either scout or Luna Pro borrowed from my film production class) Tri-X ruled but we were all into Microdol-X developer at the time.

The Pentax was property of the school yearbook. The first camera I purchased for myself was a Rollei TLR 2.8F in June 1974. I still use that camera today.

A beautiful little Rosewood and Brass 9x12cm Gaumont & Cie folder which had been "Liberated" in WW2. Someone had removed the 135mm Zeiss Tessar from it and discarded the body. Last month, while cleaning my Mother's house after she went to a nursing home, in a shoebox in the attic I found a cache of negatives and prints from that camera, c.1951-2.

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic that used flash cubes. My first pictures were ruined by the camera case dangling in front of the lens (oops).

My first SLR was a Mamiya/Sekor CWP, a weirdo camera that had an on-camera but non-TTL light meter. It actually worked fine, and I gather now that collectors love these cameras. While I was away at college my brother "borrowed" the camera and it was stolen from his car. Grrr. I then got a Pentax H3v which I still own (I'm not sure how well it works). Then about a year later my father went to Japan and came back with my first Nikon F.

My first camera was a Mamiya DTL1000? or something like that. I used it for a short time but dropped it in the lake one day. Being an optimist, I turned it into a learning experience. First lesson learned was always to use a camera strap but taking the camera apart allowed me to learn how SLRs function. I was intrigued by all the tiny chains and gears. It was facinating.

Soon after I purchased a Minolta SRT202 (what a workhorse!) which is still in the family and being used by my niece who is taking a Photo class at college.

My first camera of ANY type was a Polaroid swinger. (Remember the ad jingle, anyone?) My first SERIOUS camera was a Konica Auto S2 rangefinder. I still have it and shoot with it occassionally, even though the meter is shot. It's lens is capable of professional quality images, and a few of the best shots I've ever taken came with this camera.

An unknown brand 35mm rangefinder (I have been trying to remember what model it was for years with no success) which my father gave me in 1958 when he got a new Zeiss Ikon Tenax (an early automatic camera, which he thought would be easy enough that my mother would use it). He used a Super Ikonta B until he got a Rollei 35 in 1968. I used it until 1970, when I got a Pentax Spotmatic.

The family Kodak instamatic 126 was the first camera I used, but the first camera that was 'mine' was an Olympus 35 RC that I bought new around 1973. I worked the crap out of that camera; tripods, filters (even a set of close-up filters that required a tape measurer and blind faith to use) and a Vivitar 283 flash. The flash is twice the size of the camera. I handed it down to my daughter a few years ago, but it didn't seem to 'take'.

A boyfriend gave me a Minolta 110 p&s. Lousy pics. Then 13 years ago I bought a Nikon N300 p&s which was followed in a month by my first SLR, a Nikon N5005. I still have the N300, it works and I don't part with the N5005. If I get my classes prepped, and problem sets critiqued, I intend to take the N5005 out to do "alley art" tonight because it is misty/foggy here. That can change quickly but I have hopes.

Conni

<P>A Ricoh 35 ZF and it still works, but it's a year ago I last had any film in it. <A HREF="http://www.wind.dk/photographs/gallerypage/family/OS94P25">Here it is</A>.</P>

<P>My first SLR was an Olympus OM-10 which unfortunately will no longer wind the film reliably and the AE went bust lung ago. Very nice camera when it worked. While it still wound film, I lent it to a couple of friends for their <A HREF="http://www.wind.dk/photographs/gallerypage/weirdequipment/Stettin01F05P18">holidays</A>, and the results were fine despite the lacking AE.</P>

A Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. Eight shots on a roll of 127 film. Followed up with a

Kodak Starmite, also 127. Had a built-in flash that used AG-1 flashbulbs. My next

camera after that was a Leica M3. First SLR? A screwmount Pentax Spotmatic. Still

have the Pentax, but I don't use it. Sold the Leica many years ago, to my eternal

regret.

"Anyone remember their first camera"

My first camera was one of those little disc cameras my mom bought me when I was like 8 or 10.

"and have you tried using one again"

Lord no!!

About 5 or 6 years ago I was at an auction and not really paying attention when I saw them hold up a camera. I didn't even know what an SLR was, I only knew it looked like my moms camera and hers was a nice one. I bid on it and got a Pentax K1000 with 50mm lens for $35.

I think that is the best thing I ever bought. I began using it and really enjoyed it. I've got a long way to go as a photographer, but it really brings me a lot of enjoyment. If I hadn't stumbled on that camera I doubt I would have it for hobby now.

Alan

My first camera was a Canon A-1. I comandeered it from my older sister who could give a sh*t.

That was about 16 years ago. I used it all through Photography school and even on some of

my professional shoots.

I still have it and love it. Best camera system ever made. I just can't live without it's shutter

sound.