Recent--and happy---experience

joseph_walsh2

I have just returned from a month long trip to France to which I

brought about 300 rolls of 120 black and white and color film ranging

from EFKE 25 to Ilford 3200 with which to feed my Mamiya 7

I had to go through security at Austin and Houston going over, Paris

(CdG) and Houston on return. I asked for and got a hand inspection

at ALL FOUR checkpoints. My film was never x-rayed.

I had one suitcase containing all my film and nothing but film, all

in factory boxes. At Austin and Houston I simply requested hand

inspection of the bag and was taken aside where someone was assigned

to do the search. No initial refusal, no groaning or rolling of

eyes. Very quick and professional.

During my stay I shot about half the film. While it was still

isolated in the suitcase obviously there were dozens and dozens of

open ( exposed) rolls of various 120 films . AT Charles DeGaulle I

was informed that the x-ray would not harm the film. I pointed out

that I had Delta 3200. They told me to separate it and they would

xray the remainder. I showed them the jumble of film and told them it

would be very difficult. They then requested a National Police

officer search the suitcase. He seemed quite astounded by the amount

of film but complied. By way of explanation I said to him, in

French, "I'm a professional photographer and have been in France for

a few weeks." He replied in French something I missed but took to

mean, "No kiddin'" He then said, without looking at me, "I am a

professional suitcase inspector."

The Houston inspection was without incident.

Anyway, thought I'd share some good news on the airport front. Hope

everyone is as fortunate as I.

Glad to hear that. I had a rather sane and quick security encounter on a recent Spokane-Duluth (MN) trip--and made it through all security in a couple of minutes despite the fact that I had 2 cell phones, a PDA, 2 chargers and a compact digital camera in my carry on. My daughter had 2 cd players and chargers.

On another note, I just checked out the TSA.GOV website for travellers and found this typo:

"If the same role of film is exposed to X-ray inspections more than 5 times before it is developed, however, damage may occur."

I just got back from Russia, going through 5 airports each way and had a minimum of problems. Actually, I thought they were too lax with my film, it was "sniffed" only once and let's face it, a film canister can conceal enough plastic explosive to blow an airplane out of the sky. Also, I didn't have to open so much as a single camera to insure that the insides were not packed with explosives, that's a bit scary in my way of thinking. I want a reasonable amount of security in this day of worldwide terrorism. There is a price to be paid for reasonable security, plain and simple.

Joseph,

Glad to hear you had some good experiences. I did as well. In my case, I decided that it would be faster to place all my film into a single bag (a large fanny-pack, or if you're a Brit, a bum-bag). I let it get x-rayed exactly twice--in JFK and Frankfurt. The bag contained 20 rolls of Provia 100F, 20 rolls of Velvia 100F, 20 rolls of NPS, 20 rolls of Portra 400B&W, and 20 rolls of assorted 120 film (I shoot only a little medium format). This represents around 4 to 5 months' supply of film for me.

I also decided to allow plenty of time at security and that I would be polite at all times.

A sample roll of Velvia 100F had been previously shot, but not developed. I wanted that roll to get x-rayed to test for problems. Upon arrival here (Cairo, Egypt) I got my film developed and it showed nothing abnormal.

In the past, I've taken Provia 400F through ten different x-ray machines (all in Africa and the Middle East) with no negative effects. My experience is that if you pack film in a simple bag, with no "lead-lined x-ray bags" then your film is fine up to AT LEAST ten x-rays. Slower film may be more tolerant. On the other hand, if you place anything metallic in the bag, then it gets a larger dose of x-rays and your film is at greater risk.

When it came to having gear inspected, I had my camera bag (a large Tamrac backpack with two bodies, a flashlight, and several lenses) screened for explosive residue only once (in San Francisco, in June). My laptop was with me, and it was screened for explosive residue at every airport I visited without exception.

I was never hassled by any Security personnel, who even allowed me to keep on my shoes!

The moral of my experiences is that if you pack properly, and you are patient and reasonably polite, then airport security hassles are near zero.

I haven't had any recent problems with TSA except for the failure to inspect my items. Leaving out of the Atlanta airport it has been VERY difficult for me to get the TSA employees to performed the required hand inspection when requested... they will typically recite that ANY film regardless of type at or below 800 won't be affected. After showing them a print out of the TSA's own site stating that they must hand inspect if asked, I could usually get the hand inspection... To avoid all this, I bought a Sima Lead pouch and it shows up as a totally opaque object that they can't see through and none of my film has gotten fogged. I had a screener tell me they didn't usually work, he looked at the monitor and said that mine was blocking the x-ray scanner. Typically they pull the lead pouch from the belt and open it, pull the two ziplock bags out, and occaisionally swab for explosives. I haven't had anyone rough handle my camera body or lenses yet.

• 2 years later...