"When I visited the Leica factory in Solms in the early 90s they were

still making mostly single coating lens elements and just beginning

to use multicoating, and then only on a few elements. I've had some

serious flare issues with some of their lenses." (Bob Shell CVUG Aug

16th 2003)

I found this comment interesting as I always believe Leica started

multicoating in the early 70's. Just thought it was worthy of

discussion.

I believe James is only trying to verify some facts instead of "rejecting non-MC classic lenses" or applying multi-coating to junk. :)

I have read many times the story about Leitz started using MC without announcement "way before Pentax". Unfortunately the alleged source was always some "Leica sales rep". I would like to hear something more factual too.

From 8/5/05 Tracy Walker telephone conversation with him:

I'm in need of models, of course.

Do you have anyone in SW Virginia?

My budget is pinched right now for obvious reasons and I probably can't afford to bring in your top girls from major cities.

Mostly I do my shoots for pictures to illustrate my articles in photo magazines.

This gives the girl some good mainstream visability.

Then I also do my personal shooting during the same shoot.

This is about him and his girlfriend:

She took an overdose of prescription drugs.

I'm accused because she died in my studio.

It happened after hours after a day of shooting.

Yes, she and I were alone when she died.

I didn't know she'd taken the drugs and thought she was just asleep.

She had a prescription drug problem, and I'd been

trying for a year to get her clean and sober, but she kept backsliding. She was my girlfriend and we lived together.

They think I gave her the drugs, but I have dozens of models who will testify that I was always 100% professional with them and didn't allow drugs in my studio.

I'm pretty confident of proving my innocence, but it will take time and cost a lot of money.

He is used to paying models at least $100hr for shoots, but due to a legal battle, he is somewhat strapped.

Bob Shell Ltd.

1601 GROVE AVENUE - P.O. BOX 808

RADFORD, VA 24141

fax: (540) 633-1710

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=article_Bob_Shell

<<"When I visited the Leica factory in Solms in the early 90s they were still making mostly single coating lens elements and just beginning to use multicoating, and then only on a few elements. I've had some serious flare issues with some of their lenses." (Bob Shell CVUG Aug 16th 2003)>>

I hope there are no LHSA members on his jury.

Al said "Another critical variable for flare development is teh NUMBER of lens elements. You can have all the multi-coating you want BUT if the number of elements is high the probability of flare increases.,"

Al when did you get a degree in optical engineering? You are absolutely correct on this, unfortunately most users don't understand and can't understand why their wiz bang zoom lens is always being beaten by a descent prime.

GS

<I>Another critical variable for flare development is teh NUMBER

of lens elements. You can have all the multi-coating you want

BUT if the number of elements is high the probability of flare

increases.,

</i><P>

Pretty close but it's actually the number of air/glass interfaces

that increases the probability of flare. IMHO the popularity of

do-it-all zooms is what has led to the popularity of Velvia and

other high-saturation films.

Allen H is dead-on correct about using lens hoods to minimize flare. Keeps fingerprints off the lens, too.

After searching a couple places and checking some references, I still don't have an answer to the original question. Best I can come up with is that some elements of some lenses were being multi-coated by Leica in the '70s, and that by the time of the current ASPH lenses, it was common. IIRC, my Summicron M's had a purplish tint but that was a few years ago.

Does anyone know when Leica started multi-coating, for sure? I still think Shell is off by a decade. Did the CVUG follow up?

Intriguing comment, Johann. Would you comment on what DOES make an effective lenshood for any of the common Leica lenses?

I realise this is a heresy, but it's a fact that I'd never experienced flare from an off-screen light source UNTIL I bought a Leica and Summicron 50 this year. Now I have, when using a fixed lenshood. My previous photgraphic experience was with rather less prestigious lenses with smaller maximum apertures. Is this simply the cost of pushing optics to its limits?