the moment when I put my Sigma flash on it just makes the flash

symbol blink and will only fire in manual mode (manual shutter and

aperature). I have a lot of flashes (none suitable unfortunately) and

at the moment can't budget a huge amount for a SB28(DX) or SB80DX. I

have seen all the others at reasonable prices what would you

recommend, I was mainly looking at a 24, 25 or SB26. I have already

ruled out the 50DX as it uses CR123a's which are expensive. Any help

much appreciated. cheers

What kind of flash exposure do you prefer? If you're planning on TTL (well, it's called

D-TTL now), then your only options are one of the DX speedlights from Nikon. If

you're willing to live with keeping the flash on "A" then just about any flash will do.

The other option you may want to look at is the Fuji S2. Apparently, that does not

require a special DX flash to perform TTL -- any flash will do. Then again, the S2 is

more expensive than the D100.

Lastly, with the impending release of the new Nikon SB-800 flash, the second hand

price on used SB-28dx and SB-80DX will fall even further. Can you wait and use the

built-in flash on the D100 in the interim?

<I>"The other option you may want to look at is the Fuji S2. Apparently, that does not require a special DX flash to perform TTL -- any flash will do."</I>

<p>

I chose an S2 over a D100 for just this very reason. I've never tried a Sigma flash, but my SB-28 works in all TTL modes, where it wouldn't on a D100.

This is what I wasn't sure about so to get any TTL I have to get the DX? I hadn't even condsidered the S2 - I used an S1 for a while but was very dissapointed with the huge amount of noise on longer exposures, this followed by the fact I was caught out when the 2x cr123a's ran out leaving the camera powerless on a shoot(seemed crazy to use to different sets of batteries). Hence went for the D1. How does Auto vary from TTL is it just loss of balanced fill-in?

From what I've read, and what others have told me, you can't get any TTL from any Nikon D-SLR.

I agree that the battery setup on the S2 is a major hassle. I got a Quantum QB1c to avoid the whole 2 CR123/4 AA fiasco.

Without TTL you lose the ability for the camera to meter through the lens.