Konica Impresa 50 film/ Velvia 100F

I posted this, but I guess my old posts no longer show. Anyway here

it is again:

I noticed in Photography Mag that they listed Impresa 50 as having

130/80 lpm. On the internet here they list it as 160/63. Which one is

correct? I got my rolls ealier this week now, so I'll be using the

first one next week. Came in rather quick, and again I had to buy no

minimums of the stuff. They only brought in the amount I requested.

Anyway if I use this film on a very bright sunny day with lots of

contrast in the shots like mountain landscape shots with trees, etc-

would this film be better rated at 32 ASA as Scott Eaton recommends,

or 41 ASA to allow for the extra contrast/ brightness in the shots? I

dont want to over- overexpose it. The cameras light meter (AE-1) is

the averaging type, so its not that accurate. I will also be bringing

along a P67 for the trip, but with different film loaded.

Also what are peoples impressions so far of Velvia 100F compared to

the original stuff? I hear its not as saturated as the original. And

I also here Velvia 100 (not 100F) wont be coming to North America. So

that will probably piss off a lot of people to not have the same

saturation as the 50 ASA version. Its gonna suck when 50 runs out on

store shelves.

I have shot a hanful of rolls of both the New Astia and Velvia 100 and have been quite impressed. Based on what I have shot I can say that I have noticed some differences vs. Velvia 50. I have noticed some improved shadow detail, and maybe a tad less contrast / saturation overall. Even flesh reproduction seems to be slightly improved but certainly not what I would call the ultimate film for flesh tones. Reciprocity characteristics have also improved dramatically. I promise to post some samples next week. In the meantime, here's a data sheet for you all...

Michael D. D'Avignon

I know the meters on the AE-1s arent the best. I also have a T-90 for a meter, but that will be used for the P67. Aside from the averaging meter type, Im more concerned about overblowing the exposure since sunny days have extreme contrast in the shots. I may use it at 41 ASA instead to be safe. Our Noritsu 2102 machine doesn't like overexposed shots as much as the color shifts a noticable amount and everything looks flat and muddy. I may test the roll at both 32 and 41 to see which one it likes more on sunny bright days.

<p>The <a href="http://www.konica.co.jp/global/pdfe/IMP50.PDF">data sheet for Impresa</a> answers the question regarding its resolving power. I've looked at various summaries of film information, lens information, body information, etc. in a few different photography magazines over the years, and I don't think I've ever seen one that got everything right. To be fair, it's a lot of information, but really, someone ought to check it before they print it.</p>

<p>Almost anything to do with film and printing is best done as Scott Eaton recommends, as a starting point for your own testing. His tastes and equipment may vary from yours. Personally, <a href="http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/writings/impresa.html">I did a very quick test, shooting a few scenes three times each, at 32, 40, and 50, and found I preferred it at 40.</a> Your mileage may vary.</p>

RE: Velvia 100F - my thumbnail impression after two rolls is that it reminds me most of Kodachrome 64 - contrasty and knife-sharp, but without as much richness to the color as the slow stuff (sort of the same relationship as K64 to the late K25 (RIP)). It's also a tad 'redder', which adds to the K64 look. Not an exact match, obviously, just the impression it leaves.

Another way to describe it might be - the color palette of Provia 100F and the contrast of Velvia 50.

The one thing it lacks compared to the 50 version, IMHO, is the long yellow scale in the highlights. RVP did a great job of holding color in light beiges/yellows (dry grass, architectural panels, concrete) - where other slide films would tend to deliver a fish-belly white. The Velvia 100F doesn't do this as well.

What makes you think the 50-speed is being discontinued?

<p>Every official statement I've seen from Fuji says that Velvia 50 is not being discontinued. Obviously, official statements don't always tell the whole truth; they tell whatever version of the truth a company wants people to believe at any given time. Some people have posted (here and/or in the newsgroups) that they've been told, privately, by Fuji reps that Velvia 50 is going away; other people have posted of private claims by Fuji reps that Velvia 50 is very much alive.</p>

<p>At this point, we have official press releases saying Velvia 50 is staying, rumours that Velvia 50 is staying, and rumours that Velvia 50 is a goner.</p>

Well I got this email from a Canadian rep and this is what he said to me:

Dear Scott,

Thank you for visiting our web site.

The Velvia 50 technology is now more than 10 years old with the

introduction of the new Velvia 100F it will continue to have similar

properties that Fuji Velvia 50 is world renown for and we have incorporated

the technology of the Provia 100F film. We currently have not released the

Velvia 100F in the Canadian market but will be available by Mid to Late

July 2003.

Once Velvia 50 stock is depleted the film will no longer be available.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate in contacting us

either at this e-mail address or by phone at 1-800-263-5018 (M-F 8:30am -

5:00pm EST).

Yours truly,

Digital Camera and Sensitized Product Technical Support

Fuji Photo Film Canada Inc.

Now whether you chose to believe its staying or not is up to you. Personally I don't see the old one staying forever, so I beleive it will eventually go.

Velvia 50 discontinuation? In Canada perhaps. Fujifilm Canada is very well known for its damm the user attitude and totally self-serving view of business. They have refused to import Quickload, which is available in the US and their dealers are all afraid of bringing it in from Japan/US for fear of alienating FujiCanada. I am not surprised they would now discontinue Velvia 50: the book keepers that run that company might as well be peddling shoes, they seem to know little about film. Velvia 50? to them it is just another stock-keeping unit. With Kodak coming in with their new Ektachrome G100 it may be time to look elsewhere, bye bye Fuji.

From the samples and reports I've seen so far, I'm beginning to think of Velvia 100F

not so much as a replacement for Velvia 50, but as an improved version of Provia

100F.

I'm shooting some right now and will post my observations here. I think it will be a

very nice film to have in my arsenal, but not a replacement for Velvia 50 (which will be

available in the U.S. for the forseeable future -- but for those of you who are worried

about it, there's certainly no harm in loading your freezer with it).

Yes Im not impressed with Fuji Canada decision. Velvia 50 is my main slide film. I have now replaced Provia with Kodaks E100G as my choice there. Kodak doesn't have the pepper grain problem Fuji's has.

I have friends in Seattle that occassionally come up here to visit, so I may get them to bring in some Velvia 50 if I can't get it here anymore. And yes as soon as I realize Velvia 50 supply is running low, my freezer is getting stocked with it. I could even see some dealers up here importing the film from US stores just to please customers up here. They do that with Efke films in one place.

Just processed a roll of the Impresa. It definately is a cool tone film. I had to take out a magenta in the roll in some shots, and a couple pics were really hard to color adjust. So I can see why this film isn't as easy to process for some people. The sharpness didn't seem any sharper then my other color rolls. Hard to test though. Since Kodak Royal Gold has grain size close to RG 25, and Impresa 50 isn't quite as sharp as RG 25, which film will be sharper/ finer grained- Impresa 50 or Royal Gold 100?