Leica-M 21mm ASPH vs. Contax 21mm Biogon-G

andy_piper2

Yeah ray-

I didn't want to work on it too terribly long, so but if I were to try again, I'd do something to make it less flat.

And yeah, his shadows were only clipped around level 230 or so. Not bad really.

One thing for certain, black and white in digital is NOT easy.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was going to post that Andy really should be very careful. I heard that the DSM people are going to add "The Contax/leica" psychosis to the list.

Andy- this is a great comparison, just becareful, people have spent many thousand dollars comparing Zeiss and Leica. Don't get obsessive!

I am a little bit suprised myself, I was for some reason under the impression that Leica is a tiny tad bit better over all than Zeiss. Does anyone know if this is an isolated case?

Shawn

Don't read too much into it. It is one shot. Even the merest difference in focus could account for this difference. A better way is to use both lenses for some time and to test them by focussing at infinity to minimiuze focussing errors. I am not saying the Leica is better, but this is really not adequate when one thinks about it - I am sure that Andy agrees (?). It does give us some idea though - it shows that neither lens is lousy!

Robin Smith

It makes little sense to maintain a dedicated body for each particular lens. Either choose a Leica or Zeiss body because you like the features or because the MAJORITY of the lenses give you the feel you want in your photos. It would really be cheaper to get one or two lenses custom modified to work on the "wrong" body than to maintain two complete systems.

Then the question becomes:

In 30 years will a Contax 21mm Biogon in Leica M mount, or a Leica 21mm ASPH in Contax mount, be worth the most to collectors. I guess it will really depend on the condition of the pink paint job.