Hassie Jams out of box-need advice

gene crumpler

I need some perspective from experienced Hassey(did we ever decide how to spell this?) users. I got an excellent 500cm with T* 80 mm and A24 back for a little over $900.00 last Friday. The camera jammed after the first test roll of film.

The test roll looked good, with excellent spacing, even exposures from 1/500 to 1 second and acceptable focus . I tried turning the unjamming screw with a jewelers screw driver, but could not get enough torque to unjam it.

The camera comes with a 6-month warrenty for parts and labor from the repair shop in England that I purchase it from. I also used a credit card as extra insurance. So I still have a lot of leverage on this deal.

The 2000 Mc Broom's has this kit priced between $1350 and $1750 in excellent condition, so I got a deal, if the camera is working well.

I now have the following options:

1. Return for a refund and forget about buying a used Hasselblad.

2. Send it back to England and have it repaired.

3. Take to my local repairman and let h

Gene: These fully mechanical cameras need periodic preventative maintainance, which is often neglected. Simply unjamming it may not be a long term fix if its all dried out inside. I'd see if the folks you bought it from would help cover the cost of a local repair, clean,lube and adjust. I've done this with a few long distance sellers a few times, to help save shipping costs back and forth and put the money into the camera instead. You then send the seller a copy of the repair invoice. Its worth a try. I always expect any older camera I buy to need a going through after I buy it before I put it into service. Its like buying a used car.

Did it jam after you removed the lens and/or back? Are you familiar with the lens removal procedure (always remove and replace the lens with the shutter cocked)? Sounds like you got a great deal, but I'd be skeptical if it was broken. Did a manual come with either of your Hassy purchases?

Scott;

Yes I know about the need to have both the body and the lens cocked before removing the lens. The camera jammed with the lens and back on the body. I'm spoiled from 33 years of nikon dependability with out a visit to the shop. In the past I've had problems with used equipment and have made a policy of buying only new stuff. This was such a good deal, I jumped at it. I assumed since this camera was being sold by a camera repair company, that they had checked it out!

I think I will e-mail the shop and see if they will foot the bill for a local CLA. Stay tuned.

Is periodic jamming to be expected?

Gene-

The only time I've had problems with jamming was when I've tried to remove or replace a lens or back improperly, so that's why I asked. Actually, jamming was only a problem when I've used extension tubes. If the camera jams without anything being disassembled or reassembled, then I would suspect a mechanical problem. Good luck!

Gene,

I could never afford to be a Hasselblad user but I have owned and bought Bronica 2nd hand equipment from English shops for many years. My experience of local repairers is that they will repair the camera for maybe 1/2 the price of the manufacturer but the repair is rarely a long-term fix. I had a sticky shutter on a 40mm lens that was repaired twice (over 3 years) before I bit the bullet and sent to Bronica, they replaced components rather than just lubricating what was there.

So my advice would be to go for a repair, but ensure that it is with Hasselblad. As a further piece of advice, you can expect this sort of camera system to need servicing at some time in the future anyway (especially film backs) but this is because you end up owning them for years rather than poor design.

Gene

I feel that you always have to be prepared to pay for your mistakes when buying secondhand - that is part of the "deal". You may well get the job done by the store that you bought it from, but it may not be a long term fix. I would probably bite the bullet and send it to Hasselblad, at least then you know it will have a guaranteed repair. I have just had this problem myself where a camera I bought secondhand was "repaired" by their repairman, but I knew it was not repaired to my satisfaction and I ended up wasting 3 months of valuable to-ing and fro-ing, which could have been spared if it had just been sent back to the manufacturer originally. Most of the times secondhand works (particularly for lenses), but you do have to be prepared to remedy your mistakes. Of course, I do think the store that sold it to you has an obligation too, but equally they are not duty bound to send it to Hasselbald for an authorized repair if you send it back. They can give you your money back or send you a replacement.

Hassey's get heavy professional treatment so I think they need care when you buy them secondhand. Mine was no problem - but I have had considerable problems with worn backs.

Robin Smith

Gene you most likely accidently pressed the shutter release when you were taking the lens off the body and that's what jammed it. You need to cock the lens with the unjammer key its probably out of sync with the body right now.

It takes very little torque to cock the hasselblad so if you are putting on a lot of torque you are doing something wrong.

Turn the little dial on the back of the lens (near the rear element) and you should here a small click, after that it should mount to the body and operate correctly.

The saga continues. I took it to my regular local repair guy at lunch today. He said that I had a "hard" jam, and estimated $80-150 for unjamming and a CLA of just the body. The camera has not seen a lot of use as there is some rust inside the body. The lens appears to have been recently overhauled as the shutter blades are new and the glass is as new. The back is also in excellent condition. I have offered to go 50/50 on the repair job with the shop in England. Even with a $40-75 repair bill, I still feel that I am getting a great deal!

I won't be trying to make a living with this camera. Just always wanted a Hasselblad. I already have two p67's and lenses, a TLR rollei, a rolleicord and a mamyia c33. So I need a Hasselblad like another hole-in-the-head! Afraid that I have passed over the line and become one of those awful collector people.

<p>I'll third Tony and Robin's advice. Take it all to a local Authorized Hasselblad repair center. Ask them to do a complete overhaul, in addition to fixing the immediate problem. Your equipment is likely 20 or so years old. If it jams that easily, chances are that the previous owner didn't do regular maintenance and certainly didn't bother to take it to a top-quality service center just before selling it. The overhaul is likely to save you from frequent trips to the service center and needless frustration. Would you buy a 20 year old car and expect to spend no money on repairs and regular maintenance?</p>

<p>If you let the camera store to do the repair, your camera will be sent to someone who is inexpensive---good economy for the camera store, but the work may not be done properly. On the other hand, if you send it to a Authorized Hasselblad repair center, the camera should work <em>at least</em> as well as it did when it was new and you will probably have no further trouble for at least 10 years (except possibly need a new light seal for the back). You should still be better off than if you had bought one of those kits you saw advertised. You will have a camera that you <em>know</em> works as well as it did when new and will continue to do so for years to come. If you return your camera and buy a more expensive kit, there is no guarantee it won't need an overhaul three months or a year from now. It sounds like you got a good deal, unless something is terribly wrong. Get a complete overhaul and protect your investment.</p>

<p>A new camera will work as well as your present one will after an overhaul. However, the new one will have a couple of new features (most importantly, the gliding mirror that eliminates viewfinder cut-off with lenses longer than 150mm).</p>

<p>If you don't like Hasselblad, by all means try another brand. No matter which brand you buy, I recommend that you budget for an overhaul if you buy used.</p>

• 2 weeks later...