Tips

You can easily take in the whole scene of the 4 presidents with a 50mm from the main walkways and standard tourist perspectives. There is (used to be?) a light show on the face at night that can create some different shots if you have a tripod. When I was there, I was actually more enthralled by the rest of the beautiful mountain scenery in the area AWAY from the park itself. The Black Hills are marvelous and I would recommend taking some time to get out a see a bit more and shoot the mountain landscapes nearby. If you like this more traditional type of landscape, you will probably want something wider.

Exploring the Black Hills is an excellent suggestion. There are some great photographic opportunities around the area.

Also, if you want something further "south" and a bit cooler, visit Jewel Cave National Monument. I'm a sucker for spelunking, and found it a neat experience.

Both offer great advice.

I highly recommend taking the drive through Custer State Park while you are in the area.

Our vehicle broke down in the area, several years ago, and we ended up renting a local car for the day and it ended up being one of the best days of our vacation.

four words, buffalo, buffalo, buffalo and more buffalo

oh yeah great scenery too.

Ok so thats 12 words, whose counting.

Take it all in and visit crazy horse monument also.

you wont be disappointed.

I forgot, the lenses should suffice, get a TC for the Buffalo though