I have been processing my own b&w film now for over ten years, and in

this time have somehow accumulated a fair abount of HP5 stock in my

fridge. Each time i pop a roll in a camera i remember why it is still

in the fridge: i have consistently gotten very grey negatives that

have a slightly fogged quality to them. yes this is using differend

developers, batches and formats, though my favourite dev is Rodinal,

which is not a low contrast developer!

I am curious to know why people use the film. or if anyone has any

idea of something bizarre that i might be doing wrong.

as an example, yesterday i processed 3 rolls of 120, of which two

were HP5 and one Tri-X. the HP5 looks like it was shot through a bit

of trace, even the base isn't clear, and the Tri-X is perfect.

obviously these were exposed in the same camera, at the same

exposure, and processed in the same manner. what a mistery.

thanks for your help,

tobias

Though the film base on the HP5+ isn't clear, that's not a real problem. Different films have different base densities. You just adjust your print exposure times to compensate for that. It could very well be that the negatives look flat to the eye because the base density is higher on HP5+ than it is on Tri-X. The truth will be in the print. It could also be that the film is seriously outdated and you are experiencing the usual problems associated with outdated film, lower film speed and higher fog levels. Do this little test. Get a fresh roll each of Tri-X and HP5+ and make some bracketed exposures of the same subject in the same light. This will give you an indication of how each film responds to chages in exposure, and don't be too surprised if the two films give optimal results at different exposures.

Wht do people use HP5+? It's good stuff, not the same a Tri-X, but good stuff nonetheless. There's absolutely no reason why you can't get first rate results with this film.

thanks for your answers guys.

yes, i fogot to indicate that it is HP5+ (if i recal HP5 was fased out in the very early '90s, when TMAX appeared and HP5+ was introduced). Since i still have some stock, maybe i should get hold of some D76. have you had good results with FP4 in D76 as well? through i have had better results with the latter in Rodinal.

the stock is out of date, but i have kept it in the fridge, and have never had any difficulty with other films, even colour, in such conditions.

the prospect of them printing well is possible, though i currently dont have a access to my dark room, but they may scan well.

cheers,

tobias

FWIW, I have about 300' of 10+ year old HP5, not the plus. It has a gray base, plus a generous amount of fog. In spite of that, it still prints nicely, so I keep using it. Definitely try some fresh film if you want to see what it should look like, and yes, I'll probably throw my old stuff away when the fog becomes too annoying :-)

Frank, I had never posted a plead, so had no idea what to expect :-)

Conrad, What developer is it that you use on the stock then?

If i get a chance to print in the next few weeks I shall let you all know how they came out, but my guess is that contrast 4 paper won't be sufficient. right, i am going to stop winging and do a test,at some stage!

Conrad, one word: benzotriazole. :)

A friend shot some HP3 sheet film that he got in an auction with some 4x5 and rollfilm cameras. The expiry date was 1965. I have no idea how the film was stored. The negative looked wonderful. I hope he shoots more of it.

Ok, so I alternate between extremely fussy and extremely casual about things. When I do my FP4+ in FX-2 or FX-2K, I use new film and control everything. For some reason, I use the HP5 for snapshots and get-togethers, process it in whatever's handy, and seem to get good results. FX-2 works well with it, very sharp and the grain pattern isn't too awful. No doubt it would work as well with D-76 or HC-110; developers just don't make a huge difference if you've got the times down. I keep both pure benzotriazole and the Edwal Liquid Orthazite on hand for old printing paper, but have never tried them on film. IMHO, they don't do beans for paper, but I'll give it a try on the HP5!

About a year ago, I bought a few rolls of HP5+ to play with. It replaced Tri-X as my main black and white film after 2-3 rolls. And I've been using Tri-X since 1973. I use D76 diluted 1:3 and I process for about 20-25% less than Ilford recommends. My negatives print nicely using an Ilford #3 filter when I use my old Leitz Valoy enlarger. When I use my Omega C700 enlarger, I have to use a #2 filter--sometimes a #1 1/2.

Since there are variations in the way people expose film, the equipment used, the way they process it using the same chemicals and in printing equipment and methods, I can't say this will be very helpful to you. I love the stuff but that doesn't mean you will. I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Patrick

I have seen some beautiful 20x24 prints made from 35mm FP4+ negatives normally developed (not stand) in FX2 with addition of some household salt in the working solution to improve grain. I understand this is your version of the formula. Please inform how much salt is added to the working solution? Can you give me a starting EI for FP4+ 35mm, dilution, temperature and time for diffusion enlarging for my tests?