Pentax 500mm f4.5 lens opinions

george_verbryck

Hi George.

Sorry if this is late. I have the old screw mount Takumar version of this lens. It isn't coated like the new(er) K-mount version. Optically I am very impressed with this lens. I even use it with the 1.4X-L teleconvertor (+ screw to K adaptor) and been very impressed with the sharpness of the slides I've gotten back. As long as the lens is (0.5 meter of course), it really isn't all that heavy. The problems with this lens are two fold. First its length. It is very cumbersome to carry at that length and it isn't easy to find bags to carry it in for hiking. Secondly focusing with this lens is slow to say the least. That may have been improved on with the newer version, but the other day I was trying to shoot from a car at a Blue heron. With my 400mm f5.6 Sigma I can do it in less than a second but the physical size of this lens prevents me from focsing fast, and in this case anyway it cost me the image. But it was a real steal as far as cost.

Thanks for the response Douglas but I let this one get past me . I thought I might to be able to get a better price but the sale price turned out to be $800 firm and I decided that it was to much for this lens . I thought more in the $600 range but it is good to know that optically it is promising .I will keep looking, you are right however about the size I could not beleive how big this sucker was not real heavy but bulky so maybe the 400mm with converter I am using now will have to suffice . Cheers George