Exclusion from the Gallery Rating System

mottershead

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have received an email from Anna which purports to be a copy of a letter that is now in the mail from her lawyers. This letter, which is from a person who presents herself as an Italian lawyer, asserts claims of discrimination, defammation, and non-performance of contract. I will post my response to this letter, for your information, in this thread a bit later today. Without permission, I think it best not to post the letter itself.

I would greatly appreciate it if people would be very circumspect in what they say concerning Anna from now on, and if anybody recalls a statement that seems defammatory here in this thread, or elsewhere on the site, I would appreciate an email on that subject, so that I can remove it. I remind everybody that defammatory statements are against the site policy, and it is the site's policy and duty to delete them when we learn of them.

I have not read every post in this thread (believe it or not), although I have read a lot of it. I don't recall any statements that I would consider to be defammatory. But I am now going to reread all of this thread, and I might delete some of the posts, even a few that might not be defammatory in a strict legal sense. I regret the need for this. If any of our friends are lawyers with some knowledge in this area, and would care to help us out, perhaps you could review this and any other threads that you recall and let us know if you see any problems.

As for Anna, as far as I am concerned her presence on this site now has a fixed end date, which is in six weeks time when the "extra photo quota" for which she paid expires. As I said above, her subscription has already expired, despite the fact that we have not yet removed her icon. Until then I believe the site's interests are best served by permitting her to continue to access the site. After that, her license to use this site will be revoked along with all her photos.

<i>What really is dumb and outrageous are the Jorge-type of words. She (disparaging: "Ms P") mostly shoots flowers (like me), what can be 7/7 about shooting flowers, why don't she go anywhere else, there are lots of places?

One of the first posts in the thread (meanwhile deleted) stated to another poster: your pictures are (analogueos) trash, not worth to be shown, better delete them all. Gee, these are the people who should be banned who insult other posters with good will.

</i><p>

Ah Peter...you are way off base here. I use the "Ms. P" because I dont know how to spell her last name, nor do I know if the lady is married, single, divorced etc. It is not ment to be disparaging, it is only an identifier.<p>

As to the rest of your post, that is you putting words on my mouth. I never said nor implied for people to go somewhere else, or that there is no place for this kind of photography on PN. I merely said that IMO her photographs were not deserving of the 6 and 7`s given to them. As the pictures showed a clear lack of originality. This is exactly the problem. <p>

For one I am nobody to decide what kind of photography should be on PN, or who should be here or not, that is Brian and the other PN staff turf, second since I dont post, review or rate photos I could not care less what is posted here. What I do care about is the continued smooth running of PN simply because the forums are contained in this site and I enjoy them a lot. It saddens me to see that now we are going the lawyer route for something so silly as this. I see Ms. P chose not to rise to the challange of having her work published or sold through galleries but rather decided to use lawyers and the threat of lawsuits to get her way. I have no idea why is it so important to have ratings of 7/7.<p>

This is a clear case of abuse of litigation, where the person complaining is essentiatilly saying "if you dont do as I want I will sue you!". I am not a lawyer but if I was I would certainly help PN and I do hope there is one among the memebership that will be willing to donate some of his time to resolve this.<p>

Brian, now you know why they say "No good deed goes unpunished."

This is my response to Anna regarding the letter she forwarded to me. To be honest, at this point, I am not sure that it really was from a lawyer, and the person didn't actually say that she was a lawyer. In at least one place in the letter, Anna is referred to as "me", suggesting that Anna had a hand in writing at least part of it herself, and the other person's editing/translation didn't blend Anna's text in very well. Certainly, the letter was not from a person who is very fluent in written English, and even making allowance for that, the language seemed quite disconnected and not very lawyer-like. But perhaps I am underestimating the language problem. If it was indeed from a lawyer, which seems at least possible, I do appreciate the effort taken to send me a letter in English.

Here is the text of my response:

Anna,

When we receive your lawyer's letter in the post, we shall consider it.

However, I point out that your 1 year $25 subscription already expired on May 20, 2002, and we do not intend to renew it. Any claims made on the basis of a contractual relationship between you and photo.net arising from your expired subscription are therefore without merit. You also have purchased, for $100, "extra photo quota"; but this gives you only the right to extra photo space. Incidentally, we also do not intend to renew that quota, which expires in about 6 weeks.

Even if your subscription were still in effect, there is nothing in the subscription terms or "extra photo quota" terms that commits the site to maintain the rating system as it was when you subscribed or enrolled for "extra photo quota" or which limits the site's curatorial rights with respect to your photos.

When you subscribe to a print magazine, you don't have a cause for legal complaint if a feature that you like is changed or removed by editorial decision. If you become a paid member of a museum that is exhibiting your work, you don't have a cause for legal complaint when the museum moves the work to a different room that you don't like, or even takes down the exhibition entirely, unless it was specified and agreed as a condition of your membership that it would not be moved or removed.

The ratings are the site's curatorial system for determining which photos will be given the most prominence in the Gallery. We consider ourselves free to arrange the rating system to suit our own purposes, as we see fit, to eliminate it, or to decide the conditions under which photos will be eligible for inclusion in the rating system and in the site features which are based on the rating system. We have made many changes to the rating system and the features that exploit the ratings, including major changes, since your membership started. For example, "Top Photos" did not even exist on the site when your now-expired subsription started.,

We will continue to make changes to the rating system in order to achieve photo.net's goal of presenting a diverse, instructive, and high-quality sample of the photographs that are submitted by members of the site. The latest change is that we have altered the rating system so that portfolios that exceed a threshold number of ratings (currently 10,000), and/or which receive an excessive number of ratings that in our opinion are not valid or well-considered will be removed from the rating system. Your portfolio objectively meets the first of these criteria, and in our opinion (which is definitive) also meets the second criterion. Indeed, over the past year, we have repeatedly deleted ratings on your photos because they came from accounts which had clearly been created solely for the purpose of inflating the ratings on your photos. We did not hold you responsible for these accounts, or rebuke you; nor did you protest when we deleted these ratings.

Your portfolio has therefore been placed /hors competition./ As a result of your involvement of lawyers in this dispute, our intention is to remove your account and photos, and withdraw your license to access the site, when your "extra photo quota" expires in six weeks. Meanwhile, there is a link to your entire portfolio on the Gallery Main page, a prominence which until now was enjoyed only by the site's founder, Philip Greenspun. Visitors may view the photos and submit comments. Your photographs that have previously been rated are still visible in the "Top Photos" for the relevant periods and ranking criteria. If you choose to submit any new photos during the six weeks, they will be eligible to be in the "Top Photos" under the "Number of Views", "Number of Folder Views", and "Number of Comments" criteria.

Your threat of legal action concerning our decision is futile and bizarre, and an American court will doubtless dismiss any lawsuit that you may pursue as frivolous. Even supposing that you do have a contractual right to receive ratings on your photos until your "extra photo quota" expires, we are not under any legal obligation to maintain the current computation of "Top Photos" and other features that use those ratings, as they currently exist. Were you to prevail in legally compelling us to allow the rating of your photos to continue (which is highly improbable), there would be nothing compelling us to maintain the "Top Photos" feature to your liking. For example, it would be quite reasonable to alter the Top Photo algorithms to disregard ratings made in excess of a certain number on one person's portfolio, which would have the same effect as placing your portfolios /hors competition. /Indeed this is a change that we have seriously considered making independent of this case.

Even if you were to prevail in all your strange claims about the current relationship between photo.net and you, and a court enjoined us to delay our actions with respect to your portfolio, no American court would find that your $125 payments to us a year ago gives you the perpetual right to a prominent presence for your photos on our web site and a permanent veto over any editorial or curatorial decisions that we might make regarding the site. The most you can possibly hope for is that your remaining six weeks of "photo quota" can be turned into a six week delay of our decision to remove you from the rating system. When you already have 300 photos on the site and 10,000 ratings on your photos, is the remote possibity of a few extra weeks of ratings on your photos worth the expense and trouble of legal action?

As for the claims of discrimination, in many situations American law prohibits, as illegal discrimination, the making of adverse decisions against a person on the basis of his race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, or religion. It is true that our new curatorial policy in the Gallery singles you out, in that you are the only person so far who has 10,000 ratings on his or her portfolio, and you are the only person who we have so far determined to have received an excessive number of ratings that are invalid in the opinion of the moderators. It probably will not come as any consolation to you to learn that at least on the second point, you may not be the singular case for very long. Discrimination is not mere singling out of a person. Nor is this one of the situations in which discrimination by a private person is illegal (such as a housing, medical care, or employment decision), nor is it one of the prohibited forms of discrimination. We don't even know what race or ethnicity you are, how old you are, or what your religion is. We presume you are an Italian woman from your name, your address and your portrait, and we can speculate about the other attributes, but none of these played any part in our decisions with respect to you. I would be amazed if you could find even the appearance that these factors ever play a part in our decisions on the site. I completely reject your discrimination argument.

As for the claims of defamation, I am not aware of defamatory statements made concerning you by representatives of the site. The statement that I made in the referenced forum thread was, in essence, that in my opinion the ratings on your photos have ceased to be valid because of excessive enthusiasm and automatic high ratings on the part of your admirers and excessive antipathy on the part of your critics (whom I referred to as the "balance brigade"). This is not a defamatory statement. It is a statement of my opinion about the validity of the ratings on your photos. You may feel that this implies a criticism of your photos, which may well be true. Criticism of your photos is not criticism of you, and even if it is not all criticism of a person is defammatroy. In particular, I would be amazed if the critique of an artist's work is defammatory, especially in a venue where you have voluntarily posted your work for critique. No statement has been made by officials of the site concerning your character, honesty, morals, or any other attribute of yours which might give rise to a defamation claim. While I alluded to instances in which we have removed accounts and ratings that were clearly fraudulent and apparently created solely for the purpose of inflating the ratings on your photographs, I took care to state that we did not hold you responsible for these accounts, presenting them only as an extreme case of the "excessive enthusiasm" of your fans. Indeed, I stated that our actions relative to your portfolio did not have anything to do with "abuse". [i should have added on this point, that no statements were made about Anna at all in this thread, until she came in and announced that the policy had been applied to her and threatened legal action. ]

Sincerely,

Brian Mottershead

This is my response to Anna regarding the letter she forwarded to me. To be honest, at this point, I am not sure that it really was from a lawyer, and the person didn't actually say that she was a lawyer. In at least one place in the letter, Anna is referred to as "me", suggesting that Anna had a hand in writing at least part of it herself, and the other person's editing/translation didn't blend Anna's text in very well. Certainly, the letter was not from a person who is very fluent in written English, and even making allowance for that, the language seemed quite disconnected and not very lawyer-like. But perhaps I am underestimating the language problem. If it was indeed from a lawyer, which seems at least possible, I do appreciate the effort taken to send me a letter in English.

Here is the text of my response:

Anna,

When we receive your lawyer's letter in the post, we shall consider it.

However, I point out that your 1 year $25 subscription already expired on May 20, 2002, and we do not intend to renew it. Any claims made on the basis of a contractual relationship between you and photo.net arising from your expired subscription are therefore without merit. You also have purchased, for $100, "extra photo quota"; but this gives you only the right to extra photo space. Incidentally, we also do not intend to renew that quota, which expires in about 6 weeks.

Even if your subscription were still in effect, there is nothing in the subscription terms or "extra photo quota" terms that commits the site to maintain the rating system as it was when you subscribed or enrolled for "extra photo quota" or which limits the site's curatorial rights with respect to your photos.

When you subscribe to a print magazine, you don't have a cause for legal complaint if a feature that you like is changed or removed by editorial decision. If you become a paid member of a museum that is exhibiting your work, you don't have a cause for legal complaint when the museum moves the work to a different room that you don't like, or even takes down the exhibition entirely, unless it was specified and agreed as a condition of your membership that it would not be moved or removed.

The ratings are the site's curatorial system for determining which photos will be given the most prominence in the Gallery. We consider ourselves free to arrange the rating system to suit our own purposes, as we see fit, to eliminate it, or to decide the conditions under which photos will be eligible for inclusion in the rating system and in the site features which are based on the rating system. We have made many changes to the rating system and the features that exploit the ratings, including major changes, since your membership started. For example, "Top Photos" did not even exist on the site when your now-expired subsription started.,

We will continue to make changes to the rating system in order to achieve photo.net's goal of presenting a diverse, instructive, and high-quality sample of the photographs that are submitted by members of the site. The latest change is that we have altered the rating system so that portfolios that exceed a threshold number of ratings (currently 10,000), and/or which receive an excessive number of ratings that in our opinion are not valid or well-considered will be removed from the rating system. Your portfolio objectively meets the first of these criteria, and in our opinion (which is definitive) also meets the second criterion. Indeed, over the past year, we have repeatedly deleted ratings on your photos because they came from accounts which had clearly been created solely for the purpose of inflating the ratings on your photos. We did not hold you responsible for these accounts, or rebuke you; nor did you protest when we deleted these ratings.

Your portfolio has therefore been placed /hors competition./ As a result of your involvement of lawyers in this dispute, our intention is to remove your account and photos, and withdraw your license to access the site, when your "extra photo quota" expires in six weeks. Meanwhile, there is a link to your entire portfolio on the Gallery Main page, a prominence which until now was enjoyed only by the site's founder, Philip Greenspun. Visitors may view the photos and submit comments. Your photographs that have previously been rated are still visible in the "Top Photos" for the relevant periods and ranking criteria. If you choose to submit any new photos during the six weeks, they will be eligible to be in the "Top Photos" under the "Number of Views", "Number of Folder Views", and "Number of Comments" criteria.

Your threat of legal action concerning our decision is futile and bizarre, and an American court will doubtless dismiss any lawsuit that you may pursue as frivolous. Even supposing that you do have a contractual right to receive ratings on your photos until your "extra photo quota" expires, we are not under any legal obligation to maintain the current computation of "Top Photos" and other features that use those ratings, as they currently exist. Were you to prevail in legally compelling us to allow the rating of your photos to continue (which is highly improbable), there would be nothing compelling us to maintain the "Top Photos" feature to your liking. For example, it would be quite reasonable to alter the Top Photo algorithms to disregard ratings made in excess of a certain number on one person's portfolio, which would have the same effect as placing your portfolios /hors competition. /Indeed this is a change that we have seriously considered making independent of this case.

Even if you were to prevail in all your strange claims about the current relationship between photo.net and you, and a court enjoined us to delay our actions with respect to your portfolio, no American court would find that your $125 payments to us a year ago gives you the perpetual right to a prominent presence for your photos on our web site and a permanent veto over any editorial or curatorial decisions that we might make regarding the site. The most you can possibly hope for is that your remaining six weeks of "photo quota" can be turned into a six week delay of our decision to remove you from the rating system. When you already have 300 photos on the site and 10,000 ratings on your photos, is the remote possibity of a few extra weeks of ratings on your photos worth the expense and trouble of legal action?

As for the claims of discrimination, in many situations American law prohibits, as illegal discrimination, the making of adverse decisions against a person on the basis of his race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, or religion. It is true that our new curatorial policy in the Gallery singles you out, in that you are the only person so far who has 10,000 ratings on his or her portfolio, and you are the only person who we have so far determined to have received an excessive number of ratings that are invalid in the opinion of the moderators. It probably will not come as any consolation to you to learn that at least on the second point, you may not be the singular case for very long. Discrimination is not mere singling out of a person. Nor is this one of the situations in which discrimination by a private person is illegal (such as a housing, medical care, or employment decision), nor is it one of the prohibited forms of discrimination. We don't even know what race or ethnicity you are, how old you are, or what your religion is. We presume you are an Italian woman from your name, your address and your portrait, and we can speculate about the other attributes, but none of these played any part in our decisions with respect to you. I would be amazed if you could find even the appearance that these factors ever play a part in our decisions on the site. I completely reject your discrimination argument.

As for the claims of defamation, I am not aware of defamatory statements made concerning you by representatives of the site. The statement that I made in the referenced forum thread was, in essence, that in my opinion the ratings on your photos have ceased to be valid because of excessive enthusiasm and automatic high ratings on the part of your admirers and excessive antipathy on the part of your critics (whom I referred to as the "balance brigade"). This is not a defamatory statement. It is a statement of my opinion about the validity of the ratings on your photos. You may feel that this implies a criticism of your photos, which may well be true. Criticism of your photos is not criticism of you, and even if it is not all criticism of a person is defammatroy. In particular, I would be amazed if the critique of an artist's work is defammatory, especially in a venue where you have voluntarily posted your work for critique. No statement has been made by officials of the site concerning your character, honesty, morals, or any other attribute of yours which might give rise to a defamation claim. While I alluded to instances in which we have removed accounts and ratings that were clearly fraudulent and apparently created solely for the purpose of inflating the ratings on your photographs, I took care to state that we did not hold you responsible for these accounts, presenting them only as an extreme case of the "excessive enthusiasm" of your fans. Indeed, I stated that our actions relative to your portfolio did not have anything to do with "abuse". [i should have added on this point, that no statements were made about Anna at all in this thread, until she came in and announced that the policy had been applied to her and threatened legal action. ]

Sincerely,

Brian Mottershead

"""To be honest, at this point, I am not sure that it really was from a lawyer, and the person didn't actually say that she was a lawyer. In at least one place in the letter, Anna is referred to as "me", suggesting that Anna had a hand in writing at least part of it herself, and the other person's editing/translation didn't blend Anna's text in very well. Certainly, the letter was not from a person who is very fluent in written English, and even making allowance for that, the language seemed quite disconnected and not very lawyer-like. But perhaps I am underestimating the language problem. If it was indeed from a lawyer, which seems at least possible, I do appreciate the effort taken to send me a letter in English. """

THIS IS AN ISULT.....I INVITE MR: BRIAN MOTTERSHEAD TO CONSULT THE LAW SOCIETY OF PADUA ITALY

(ORDINE DEGLI AVVOCATI DI PADOVA _ ITALIA ) WHERE MISS MONICA PATTI , MY LAWYER IS REGULARLY ENROLLED.

Anna Pagnacco

I'm very disappointed at the direction this issue this has taken. I�m not convinced that the initial decision was the correct one; I feel a warning should have been given. More then that I�m disappointed at those of us that just had to get our two bits worth in knowing it was adding fuel to a foolish fire. And most of all I�m disappointed that the lawyers are called into play as the possibility of an amicable solution has all but been destroyed.<p>Now I have a question that I hope we will think long and hard over; What have we learnt from all this? I hope we can introduce a clearly defined policy that will help prevent a repeat of all this. I�d also like to introduce the concept of a �parole board� of say 5 independent people. They will decide if a patron is abusing the system and if such abuse is occurring what steps will be taken to stop that abuse from continuing.<p>In closing I want to make it <i><b>very clear</i></b> that this is in no way a criticism of the great job Brian is doing. Rather I view it as removing a part of his job that never was meant to be his job. Let Brian administer the system, let him set the policy but keep him out of these rather draining pis***g matches.

This is the letter I got from Mr. Mottershead AFTER he had ALREADY taken away my right to be rated without any previous warning and the reason why I consulted my lawyer.

----- Original Message -----

To: <anny_pa@tin.it>

Cc: "Jeremy Stein" <abuse@photo.net>

Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 3:09 PM

Subject: Your Photos on photo.net

> Anna,

>

> I have decided to exclude your photos from the photo.net rating system.

> This means that the existing ratings will not be visible on the photo

> page and that people will not be able to add new ratings to the photos.

> Your photos will still be visible in the Gallery, and people will be

> able to add comments only.

>

> The reason that I am taking this step is that while we have no direct

> evidence of abuse on your part, the inclusion of your photos in the

> photo.net rating system seems to give rise to a great deal of abuse and

> controversy. We have therefore concluded that the continued inclusion

> of your photos in the Gallery rating system is not in the best interests

> of photo.net.

>

> Some of the reasons for this are:

>

> (1) The inclusion of your photos in the rating system requires too much

> moderator time. We have frequently had to ban and/or delete ratings

> from user accounts that were clearly created for the purpose of rating

> your photos, usually with very high ratings. There are many other

> accounts which were suspicious which we did not delete. Even with all

> the accounts and ratings that we have deleted, there are still many

> where a very high percentage of the ratings are on your photos, again

> usually 6 and 7 ratings.

>

> (2) You have a large circle of people who seem to rate many of your

> photos very high without a great deal of judgement, in my opinion. I do

> not know why this is so, but it is evident to many other members, and it

> infuriates them, provoking them to engage in quasi-abusive behaviour,

> even though their behaviour on photo.net is not basically abusive. The

> Gallery has divided itself into pro-Anna and anti-Anna camps and this is

> wrecking the Gallery.

>

> (3) You spend a great deal of time attacking and complaining about

> people who give you ratngs lower than you think are warranted or who

> write critical comments on your photos. So many people complain to us

> that you instigate retaliations against them when they rate your photos

> low or write critical comments, that while we have no direct evidence of

> this, we cannot help but believe that it may be true to some degree.

>

> You are welcome to continue posting photos on photo.net and to receive

> comments on these photos. Your own rating and commenting priveleges are

> not changed.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Brian Mottershead

>

>

>

> Anna Pagnacco

>

>

Anna, if you read the benefits listed which are attached to 'becoming a patron' when you subscribed, you will notice it does not offer a guarantee of rating ability. In fact, it does not even mention rating options at all. So where precisely, has PN committed an illegal act? Because this is all that happened when you first threatened lawsuit. <p>Regarding libel and defamation of character, defamation must be a lie or claim that is presented as 'fact' about a person, and which damages their reputation, it is not the same as merely commenting an opinion on whether a person is considered this [subjective adjective] or not, and which may offend your sensibility. Nobody is accusing you of any criminal activity or such thing, nor making claims or statements of fact which are not true, in order to misrepresent the facts. Whereas you have outrightly accused PN administrators of illegal proceedings, which <i>could</i> be construed as slander if unfounded, and libel laws might then be applied for damage against <i>you</i>, yes? It's a sure possibility you may not have considered.<p>

It is not a personal witch hunt against one invidual. It is about statistical data. The ratings mechanism had become redundant on one members portfolio, and therefore the ability to rate it had been disabled by editorial decision. As I understand it, editors maintain rights to change or introduce policies. That's about the top and bottom of the issue here, and the rest is superfluous.

Geraldine Allen

Portrait: SP_B&Wsml.jpg

A member of the www.photo.net community since April 16, 2001

Biography: My educational background is primarily art based. I studied Art History, Photography, and Graphic Design at Salisbury College way back. I have since had two sons, graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Psychology, and more recently returned to education at Salisbury where I have just completed my finals with a BA (Hons) in Photo Media. ...................................

Are you a competent lawyer...by chance?

Until now only mine is a true one and following her suggestions this will be MY LAST COMMENT:

Lawyers will go on.......only them.....

All others are only "personal opinions".....that everyone is free to give....at least on a democratic country and on a polite manner.

Anna Pagnacco

I point out that Anna has posted a private email from me to her, without my permission. However, there is nothing in there that I don't stand by, although I was apparently more discrete than Anna herself concerning these issues. Regarding the timing, I don't recall whether it was sent immediately before, or immediately after the software was changed. But the two events were minutes apart, and I can't see that the precise sequence greatly matters.

I'd also like to point out again that no statements, even indirect, were made specifically about Anna until after she announced publicy in this thread that the new policy had been applied to her and threatened "severe" action. Even after that, I do not find defammatory statements, and I am still waiting for Anna to draw our attention to the specific defammatory statements, which I will delete if I think she has a point.

If people are talking in general terms about a new policy and the behaviour to which it relates, without mentioning anybody in particular, and somebody jumps up and says, "This policy has been applied to me and I'm insulted", causing the discussion to then turn to that person's situation, I don't see how the self-declared "insultee" can them make out a case for defammation, even if there were a lot more specific and harsh things said than have been said in this thread. It seems Anna has a huge chip on her shoulder. She seems so impatient for a fight that she doesn't even wait for somebody to knock it off. She just declares it knocked off, and starts the fight, then keeps claiming to be insulted by and defamed by things people are saying.

By the way, I take back the comment I made about Anna being referred to as "me" in the lawyer's letter. I think I read it wrong. It really is very broken up and hard to understand, like it was translated from Italian to English by a very bad Babelfish type program. Maybe legalize never translates well.

Anna, for your future reference: when you are impatient to forward your lawyers letters by email, before the letterhead, etc, can be seen, it would be a good idea if you and your lawyer tried harder to make them seem more authentic. Like, maybe the lawyer should say somewhere: "I am a lawyer representing Anna Pagnacco". Just a little tip. No charge.

What puzzles me is that anyone whose work occasionally shows fine artistic potential would want to waste resources on arguments and legal actions that would accomplish absolutely nothing toward furtherence of their presumed goal of becoming successful, whether artistically, financially or both.

It would make more sense to expend precious resources on the necessary equipment, additions to our educations in photography and securing agents, representatives or business partners to promote our work. A reputation is also a valuable resource, one that is too easily frittered away. Defamation is too often self inflicted. I trust I'm not being too abstruse?

I don't believe any of us who understand the purpose of photo.net ever regarded it as a gallery with which we had any form of contract to promote our works. The fact that subscribers get premium space on the photo.net servers is more akin to getting coffee mugs, tee shirts or tote bags from public radio or television for donating during their fundraising drives. If my tee shirt shrinks or I drop my mug should I pitch a hissy fit at the public station?

Granted to analogy is strained. But what photo.net offers to those who choose to display their works for criticism is not and never has been a guarantee of prominence or of public validation through numerical ratings or written praise. What photo.net has always offered is the opportunity to learn from the critique system. The critiques themselves have no intrinsic value and the numerical ratings, in my humble opinion, have negative intrinsic worth.

The only element that has any value is what you, the photographer, learn from the shared experience. If you learn nothing then the critiques - whether positive or negative - and numerical ratings are less than meaningless. They are detrimental to your growth.

Sometimes the best thing any artist or creative person can do is take a long sabbatical from public scrutiny or his/her work. If being continually subjected to negative feedback is detrimental to one's growth, relentless adulation may be worse.

You did the same Brian, posting the mail above....I did not get any request from you to do it, even though you wrote you would have done it before posting....so....

I followed your example

Anna Pagnacco

Anna, I thought it was to be your last post and then you post again!! In answer to your question no, I am not a lawyer, but law is integrated in many study programmes because it is an important knowledge base to have. It has been covered extensively during my studies on Psychology for reasons relating to counselling issues and such like, but more relevantly my degree in PhotoMedia has the name 'Media' attached to the end of the name because it relates to <i>media</i>. That includes papers, magazines, digital publications, television, film and so forth. Law is a fundemental consideration in the media, and students are required to cover aspects of law in their first year, before even embarking on their own personal journey. I tell you it's great to be able to see a wider world than my own little headspace!

Anna, you raised the issue of whether Geraldine was competent to explain the law of defamation to you because she isn't a lawyer. Well, I'm a lawyer and I think Geraldine did a pretty damn good job of explaning it. Well done, Geraldine. Wish you had been my law school professor in torts. I wouldn't have slept through the class then. :)

Now that Vincent apparently said sorry for posting again the same sort of insults that the moderator of this forum had deleted once, I guess this means one more post needs to be deleted and I won't waste more of the moderator's time to answer nonsense.

Thank you for deleting Marc's entire original post. Maybe now he will learn to be more discreet!

I am saddened to see the direction this has gone. As I have supported the idea the Anna be given a warning before taking such a strong position, and supported her in general... to a large degree. However, to go through this legal wrangling that has been mentioned above, is just not reasonable in my opinion Anna. I love your work and consider you as one of the premier artists on this site. Much outstanding work indeed! But I simply cannot support your position at this time, especially only one day later. The only winners will be attorneys, if it ideed goes down that road. I do wish you great success wherever you go! Time to move on.....

Thanks Andy, in Anna's threats of lawsuit it is not clear what or to whom she is even referring, so if she cannot be specific I would assume her claims to be groundless. At the first mention it appears to be directed to Brian on grounds of discrimination. Later it seems to be referring to something or someone entirely different on grounds of defamation. I have not yet come across any action or written comment that brings her into disrepute, whether it be based on misrepresented fact or subjective opinion. As to the non-performance of contract, I can't see any grounds whatsoever.<p>

To be clear for others about my post above, I'm not saying that the law is restricted to <b>only</b> accept defamation when misrepresenting a fact, but rather that misrepresentations of fact would be the <i>cut and dry</i> case that would warrant such confidence of success. Obviously law varies not only between countries but also across states. Subjective opinion may in some circumstances be considered defamation if damage and disrepute are plainly evident, but IMO it would need to be a very unambiguous case in order to be upheld. Anybody who has ever dealt with childrens squabbles will know that you cannot easily discern the perpetrator from the victim without witnesses or evidence, because in practically all childrens minds it's never <i>their</i> fault. Emotion overrides objectivity.<p>

If Anna has specific points of reference with genuine grounds (and it is not simply retaliation for a perfectly lawful editorial decision which she does not like), then let's hear it and deal with it. Where is discrimination, where is defamation, and which bit of the contract has not been honoured? Only then can anyone take these claims seriously and communicate effectively about it. <p>If on the other hand, it is just a matter of so and so calling me such and such, then surely editors and members on this site also have a case, and we could all sue each others **** off! You see it's so ridiculous, and we're only going there because Anna has made very serious allegations that she will not even substantiate.

For those who say there have been no warnings, may I quote a comment of Brian's on Anna's photo titled 'my walk'. This photo has been deleted but Brian's comment remains. There have been many other 'warnings' over time. There has been a great deal of restraint and patience shown by the Administrators of this site, it seems to me.

"April 18, 2003 This is nice enough but it does not warrant a 7 or even a 6. Some of Anna's photos definitely do merit such high ratings, but all of her friends do her no favors as an artist by raving about everything she posts. They also do no justice to other photographers whose work stands no chance at visibility on photo.net when Anna automatically gets 25 high ratings for a photo that is only a little better than average. I must say I am getting fed up with this sort of thing and I will take steps to block it soon -- precisely because of the rating behaviour being evidenced on this photo.

-- (April 18, 2003) on My walk "

Thanks for finding and sharing this. While it certainly does add support to the Photo.net moderators (Brian in particular) it is still far too vague in my opinion to be considered as a true warning. It was a comment and somewhat general at that. I would just think a firm e-mail directly to Anna as well as some public announcement before cutting her ratings would have been an appropriate measure first. That is all. Then we could all say, he told you so! As it is, she is history now, and the feeling of injustice by lack of a clear warning, I believe, is what has fueled this to the point of those dreaded you know whats?? Rhymes with Foyers.......

Brian is not obliged to spell out everything in detail regarding

consequences for consistently flaunting behavior that runs

contrary to the goals of the forum. There are a lot of people who

have chosen to ignore pleas from Brian - as well as quite a few

of the rest of us. At some point, you have to take responsibility

for not heeding these directives and warnings.

I am amazed at how many people still fail to fully digest the

behavior patterns that have lead us to where we are now. For

starters, this is a photo critique forum. The hostile responses to

virtually all critiques should have been halted long ago.

Sacrificial lambs, sacred cows and a plea for inter-species harmony

All of what follows are opinions only. Sorry if appears blunt, but I hope and believe it is objectivity based on a lurker's observations.

Going back to the beginning of this thread and restating the obvious, this new action was another in the ongoing attempts of the site to fine tune the rating system and legislate against human nature. The goal is admirable, the battle impossible, the process slightly rough-edged, and the result ...well, the Roadmap to Peace has better odds of success, and less collateral damage.

One might opine that Anna was put up as a sacrificial lamb in order to encourage others to modify their own behavior. Where this all ran into trouble is that it cannot help but appear inconsistent and specifically directed, and thus prima facie discriminatory. Reading through this thread, and recalling the many comments which have subsequently been deleted, Anna is/was by no means the only one who could be "accused" of ratings' abuse, nor the only one who some (but not me) might call a divisive element. Therein lies the appearance of inconsistency, and perhaps one might say the existence of sacred cows.

Enough of the animal metaphors, as much of this is closing the barn door after the horse has left.

Does Anna have a case? Well, there does seem to be enough "meat on the bone" to cause, at the very least, the site to incur legal expenses it can ill afford.

If there is no express statement where the site lays claim to retention of the right to randomly alter and apply the rules, then there may be an implied contract on top of which Anna can build a case.

Additionally, if Anna were so inclined, she could search the ratings behavior evidenced by other highly rated photographers, run some statistics on them, and see if she is indeed an "outlier" deserving of being singularly charged, or else just someone who benefitted from the natural human tendency to form alliances, exercise free will and "spend their money where they choose".

Perhaps Anna just did this better than anyone else, and in what was the truly democratic part of this site, she was the greatest recipient of the peoples' right to vote. Indeed, there had been kind of a separation of powers on the site: the operators and "elves" controlled photographer visibility through the PoW and Featured Portfolio, while the great unwashed masses controlled it through ratings "votes", even if the electoral turnout was not as high as some would like. It's one-person-one-vote, and no one can complain if their personal favorites don't always rise to the top. (Personally, I don't understand why Britney Spears or U2 are richer than Croessus, or why humans fall all over themselves for wizards and woodnymphs, either written or visual, but I respect the free will/free market system which puts them all where they are.)

No one could argue that Anna is not prolific, nor that she is not highly dedicated to the pursuit of photography. Even her most vocal critics would probably admit she has talent relative to the universe of photographers on this site.

Another point: if Anna either retained, or else had forwarded to her, evidence of abusive behavior (verbal or ratings) on the part of individuals on this site who have not come under the operators' axe, or who have not been moved to the gilded penalty box, she can only enhance her case. Again, the site may be in no danger of losing, but it may be in danger of incuring unwanted expense.

If I ran this site (or if it ever came up for sale free of this latest contingency, please run it by me to the email address I recently forwarded), I would either go back to the situation ex-ante, or else uniformly, and in a statistically justifiable manner, apply the policy across the board, no matter whom it impacted. (Then I'd turn off my email.) I would also state (in a highly visible place) what rights the site's operators retain. In fact, I would have members electronically sign a memo of understanding as a prerequisite for membership, thereby obviating most possible future headaches.

Finally, I would consider the suggestion from Patricia Eifel above, as it seems to address this ongoing problem in the most workable manner so far.

Oh, and I would respectfully ask Anna to work privately with (overworked) Brian and the site to find a solution with which all could live, so that her talent, and the talents and hopes of all who enjoy this site, could continue to be showcased.

Sorry for the length and bluntness, but I fear the site's death throes might well be upon us, and I wanted to add a two cent proposal in the event the lights do go out for good.