Tominon 75mm f/4.5

bob fowler

I just picked up a Tominon 75mm f/4.5 in a Polaroid Prontor shutter

via that famous on-line auction. I intend to use the lens on my 2X3

Miniature Speed Graphic. I was curious... Knowing that it will cover

at least 3X4 pack film, has anyone tried these lenses on 4X5? Will it

cover? Like I said, I'm intending to use it on a 2X3 camera, but

hey... Ya never know...

As I recall -- I sold my 75mm Tominon a while ago -- it won't cover 4x5 at infinity but will cover for close-up work. Resolution-wise, this isn't best choice for use with a 6x9 unless your version performs a whole lot better than mine did (always a possibilty when dealing with used equipment) or you're on a very tight budget. The problem with mine was that images captured with it became soft quite quickly as they were enlarged ... about 10x10 was as large as I was happy with whereas with my modified Polaroid 600se 75mm lens, I can generally print up to 16x16 or even 20x20 from just about any 120 original.

Still, for the money... :^)

Bob, please do report back on your experience with the lens.

I have one, ex-Polaroid MP-4. It is a macro lens; on the MP-4 it covers 4x5 from 2:1 to 6.4:1. It is optimized for high magnification, not for normal distances.

I also have a 2x3 Graphic and an MP-4 Copal #1 shutter on a board for the camera. So I ignored Polaroid's specs and took some pictures with my 75/4.5 Tominon at normal distances. Around 40'.

The results were awful. Unsharp in the center @f/16 and f/22, worse off center. Since the camera and roll holder I used give good results with other lenses, I'm inclined to blame the lens, not me or my gear.

Conclusion? We're still looking for a cheap w/a lens for 2x3 and larger formats that's at least passable. In my experience the 75/4.5 Tominon isn't it.

Don't let this news deter you from trying yours. I also have an ex-CU-5 127/4.7 Tominon in Copal 1. The book on it is that its a macro lens and not very good at normal distances. I've shot with it as above, its good enough that now it has a place in the tool bag I lug my 2x3 gear around in.

Take a look at a thread "Say what? 75mm lens that covers 6x9?"

in the classic camera forum.

Cheers,

Dan

To be brutally honest, I bought the lens more for the shutter than the glass! I figured if the glass was crap, the shutter was still quite a deal. Here the link to the auction:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&category=30077&item=2950014218">POLAROID PART #:88-3</a><br>

Where else can you get a new Copal Press 0 for $24.99?

Bob Fowler explained further "To be brutally honest, I bought the lens more for the shutter than the glass!"

Been there, done that. Copal press shutters from Polaroid cameras are the best values going. Me, I love the ex-MP-4 #1s. They have an open shutter lever, don't have to be set to B for focusing.

Cheers,

Dan

Why do you think I have the 127/4.7 I mentioned? That the lens is usable was a pleasant surprise, fortunately I don't need the shutter for anything else just now.

YDan, Ya never know when a shutter will give up the ghost! I had a Synchro-Compur die at the worst possible moment a couple of years ago... Cost me a bundle: Rental on another lens + lost time on the shoot, model fees, etc., not to mention getting the sucker fixed.

Don't forget the little 75 covers 3X4 that is 18" away. In the CU-5 version of this little contraption the "75mm" lens is actually 140mm away from the film. Works the same as bellows draw in a close up. It may not even cover 6X9 very well at infinity. In my feebay ads I tell folks it will cover 6X6cm. Now for an awesome moderate wide angle for your 6X9 look into the Mamiya 75mm that they made for the Polaroid 600 SE. Well worth the $250 or so going rate. And will just pinch about a 1/4 inch off of 4X5 so excellent for 6X9.

I guess it have to be several versions of the 75mm Tominon around. I lifted one of these from a CU-5 set I bought, mounted it for my Horseman Press camera (now shooting with a VHR) even getting a cam for it. Quality were excellent (stopped down to about f11 + tripod of cource) judged from Velvia chromes of (very detailed) fall landscapes. Lens were sold with the camera, and I have never heard anything but the new ovner being satisfied with it. It does not cover 4"x5", but did cover 6x9 with movements. The polaroid MP-4 also is delivered with 75mm Tominon, but this is a barrel-lens - may be of different construction. I belive the polaroid site listed lens-construction of all the tomnin lenses delivered with the different pro cameras. At least I have this description in my MP-4 manual. Currently I use the 127mm Tominon (a tessar-construction - as the Xenar also is) as an inexpensive & lightweight normal/slight wide for my 4"x5" field package - being able to use the same shutter for 240mm Apo-Gerogon as well.

Tor: The 75mm I picked up is part of the CU-5, but it's not in barrel, it's in a Copal Press shutter. It should arrive in a day or so. I'll shoot various test subjects at different distances and (for once) keep track of what f/stops I'm using and report back to the group as to coverage and sharpness.

Tor, your news is very interesting.

My MP-4 75/4.5 is a reverse Tessar, with the cemented pair of elements in front of the diaphragm. Do you recall if the one you had was a reverse Tessar or a regular Tessar with the cemented pair of elements behind the diaphgragm?

As I said, my CU-5 127/4.7, definitely a normal Tessar, is, like yours, a good lens. Much better than I'd expected. On the other hand, my MP-4 135/4.5 isn't very good at normal distances.

So maybe you're right and the CU-5 lenses (some in shutter, but not the 17/4, I've had one and it was in barrel, but a shorter barrel than the MP-4 version) aren't the same designs as the MP-4 ones (all in barrel).

Cheers,

Dan

Bob, the other thing about the CU-5 75mm that's dis-appointing is the maximum aperture in that little Copal is only about 15 or 16mm. So if you use the shutter for a 210 for instance max aperture is limited by the shutter, not the lens. A 210 in those shutters can only get to about f11.5 max. Still they're bargains if you need a shutter for a project.

I have a Tominon 105 and a 150 that I use in a MP-4 setup with a scan back for capturing fine art. I noticed the 105 has a lot of focus shift with changes in aperture. That may be why some are getting bad results. Try focusing at the taking aperture (yeah, just try it! :-) I see a pretty good shift just between f/11 and f/16. The scan-back makes this easy by using digital focus. The 105 performs about the same as my 150mm APO Sironar N in both resolution and lateral color. The scan back is 40 lp/mm, and lateral color shows up all too easily in copy work, so I think this lens is a keeper.

-Greg

• 5 months later...
  • 12 years later...
<p>Copal 1.<br />Just got a 75mm Tominon with the aperture indicator for reverse mounting for size-reduction. getting 35mm FF image from a large object. So we will be at 1:16 approx. but its reversed. That means reversed one can get better results at larger distances. Or there are really different lens-versions.<br />Reverse mounting is on page 16 of the manual.</p>