Salgado techniques

I just went back from the city's photo museum that is exposing some photos (original prints, 30x45cm or alike) by Salgado.

I already knew the prints, but this time I went to look at them searching for technical details.

Thre is detail in the shadows, contrast is normal and highlights are almost never white (just light gray). Grain is also unusually fine for TX (supposedly his main film).

The sky holds lots of details (clouds, tones), and the general tone leans towards black.

Am I right in supposing the negs are developed to what ZS define as N-1 development?

Thanks for your comments.

Jorge, I seem to recall a discussion about Salgado on the Cafe Ilfopro forum:

http://www.ilford.com/cgi/Ilfopro/forums.pl?forum=2

Say hi to David Carper if you drop by. Haven't heard from him in these parts for a while.

Wish I could offer some tips of my own but it's so hard to interpret what film, processing and printing techniques went into a photograph based on a little jpeg, never having seen an original of his work.

Well, I just got back from searching the Cafe Ilfopro forum. Lots of opinions, ranging from "He uses Tri-X in ****" to "He uses T-Max 3200 in ****."

I don't think anybody knows for sure but Salgado and his assistant, if he has one. Kinda unlikely that he would use just one product and nothing else for every situation.

Salgado's film developement... I can't say, but Salgado use the Philippe Bregand

lab (IMAGINOIR) in Paris c.f. <i>Les grands maîtres du tirage</i>,

Dominique Gaessler, CONTREJOUR 1987. The lab has a film dev department, but I

have no technical datas.<br>

"Les développements des films noir & blanc sont réalisés

manuellement en cuves avec spires ou tringles, dans des révélateurs

fabriqués par IMAGINOIR"<br>

<br>

with dev made by IMAGINOIR.... but no formulas !<br>

<br>

Imaginoir is probably the not the only lab Salgado use.<br>

<br>

<a href="www.imaginoir.fr">IMAGINOIR</a>

Thanks, guys/merci, Pascal

- Film: That's the easy part: Kodak TX or TMAX (TMY?); see the banner and after <enter> the text in:

http://pdn-pix.com/legends/legends10/

(I suppose this to be mostly true; the whole site is worth looking at. Some photos are contrastier than the originals I've seen; monitor, etc)

- Paper: Matte or semi-matte (hard to say, it was framed in glass), but for sure not glossy

- And, as I said, looking at the photos the negs looks lightly developed (but then people at IMAGINOIR maybe much better than I will ever be...)

Now, I consider him a master of photojournalism. Let's keep in mind he had a PhD in economics when, at about the age of 40, he decided to change careers; he could have looked other ways (good economists are highly paid in this country).

Many of Salgado's negs are not well exposed and need a heck of a lot of darkroom manipulation. At the recent Salgado exhibition in London it was obvious that a tremendous amount of effort had been put into the printing to get decent results. I remember reading that his film is developed by inspection and that many of his prints are bleached where necessary to render the desired effect.

I wonder why people have such a hard time making good negs, and then from there, good prints that hold detail in the shadows and proper highlights? It's not rocket science folks. Test for your proper film speed using what film you are going to test, and then your proper printing times for that film. If you do the tests you will come up with prints that are just as good as Salgado's, Guarduno's, Sexton's, or any other famous photographer. You don't have to be a zonie to get good prints. There are no secrets. It's basic photo 101. Do the tests, learn from this wonderful site what the attributes of each material is, and use it properly. It's easy.

Ok, so here we have some more bits:

- Lots of darkroom manipulation - that goes against lightly developed film; on the other hand, they are not grainy, but this could be also low grade (contrastwise) paper.

- He (possibly) uses filters - this fits in the above to darken skies.

The first conclusion would be he doesn't care (much) about exposure / development (except sharpness - Rodinal) as long as the final prints have the black leaning tones he desires (to transmit drama).

Very much HCB...

After all, he studied and lives in France.

James, if only it were so easy. In an ideal world getting excellent results in available light handheld photography would never involve underexposing and overdeveloping film. Alas, it doesn't work out that way.

That's why we diehard push processors work so hard at refining our techniques. Granted, we're trying to make silk purses from sows' ears. But I make the best damned pig ear purses I can.

The little I do know about Salgado's technique is that he exposes his film as is

necessary for the subject based upon the shutter speed needed. For example

if he finds himself in a darkly lit situation and is shooting 3200 ISO film but

needs a 1/125 sec to halt action. If the reading he is getting is telling him that

the exposure at 3200 should be wide open at 1/30 sec, he will "push" the film

to get to the needed 1/125 sec. And then lets the lab deal with the necessary

corrections in development and printing. His prints are a result of (as has

been mentioned) working with an exceptional and knowledgable printer.